Skipping video

Problems with your machine in general.
PeckPeekPoke

Skipping video

Post by PeckPeekPoke »

Hello,
I have a naughty 1040STf with video that is jumping; the picture keeps rolling off the screen. I just completed a recapping, and replacement of the pullup resistors yet still have the same problem. Where should I look now? :?
FOR GREAT JUSTICE. TAKE OUT EVERY ZIG
800xl+U1mb, STfm, STe, 030
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Skipping video

Post by exxos »

It might be your monitor ? ST video isn't "ideal". If you monitor has V-Hold present then tweak that.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

What screen are you using?

Is it vertical or horizontal rolling, is the rest of the picture fine?

It may be that your hsync or vsync have a bad connection.

Hsync and vsync can be traced straight from the glue to get monitor socket, so a real quick check could be to remove the glue, clean and straighten any pins and then see if that fixes it.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PeckPeekPoke

Post by PeckPeekPoke »

exxos wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:04 pm It might be your monitor ? ST video isn't "ideal". If you monitor has V-Hold present then tweak that.
For video, I use an upscaler board into a VGA which seems to work well with my other ST's monitor output. That other machine, yet to be re-capped, also begins skipping, but after 15-20 minutes of use.
Perhaps it is my upscaler and monitor but I doubt it since I've used two monitors, and my 2nd machine is an stfm which behaves the same with a television.

So I removed my Shifter, deoxed it and the connectors, and found continuity between IC pins 2,20, & 21 and monitor #12 (vsync). replaced the Shifter and now I've got the White Screen of Death. :stars: Though I've got your diagnostic cartridge, I'll have to wait for a null modem cable to get here.
PeckPeekPoke

Post by PeckPeekPoke »

PhilC wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:07 pm
It may be that your hsync or vsync have a bad connection.

Hsync and vsync can be traced straight from the glue to get monitor socket, so a real quick check could be to remove the glue, clean and straighten any pins and then see if that fixes it.
I couldn't find continuity to Hsync, but perhaps I had the wrong pin on the monitor out. Still exploring that avenue. Things have gotten worse since I reseated the chip, so maybe a trace or joint. I wish I had schematic for this 70523 board.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@PeckPeekPoke with regard to the GLUE, MMU and Monitor Socket you can use any ST schematic as the pin layouts are the same.

As a for instance Vsync & Hsync are on pins 37 and 38 on the GLUE and go to 12 for vsync and 9 for sync on the 13 pin monitor socket.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”