Falcon Audio Issue - Balance Not Working

Problems with your machine in general.
matt.lacey

Falcon Audio Issue - Balance Not Working

Post by matt.lacey »

Not sure how best to describe this in a succinct subject line, but here goes with the full description. For a while my Falcon's primarily put sound out along the left channel, with the right much quieter. Started to look at this at last the other day and found out my sound.cpx would't make any changes at all to the output. After thinking "I've seen this before", I remembered that years ago when I first got the machine I had that same issue, and it was because the sound.cpx I was using was from a TT and not the Falcon. Switched that out for a Falcon one (fsound.cpx) and sure enough, it starts working.

Now if I have the balance in the middle, and the gains equal, the sound is very muted and muffled. If I move the balance to one side (either) it becomes clear, but it's equally loud on both channels. Gain adjustments have a similar effect. This suggests to me that the two channels are joined somehow, and I only get clear audio when there's a reasonable difference between the two signals. I tested for continuity between the connector side of the three inductors by the output port (assume those are hooked straight to that port) and didn't see anything.

Not sure where to go from here?

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”