ACSI port woes on Mega ST2

Problems with your machine in general.
Calab

ACSI port woes on Mega ST2

Post by Calab »

Recently I have been having some intermittent issues with the external UltraSatan connected to my 4 meg Atari Mega ST2. It would only detect one SD card at a time. If slot 1 was in use, then slot 2 would not been seen. If I reseating slot 2 and reset the Atari, then slot 1 would not be seen. To make matters worse, while troubleshooting that issue the UltraSatan stopped seeing ANY SD card that was installed. This was not good. I disconnected my UltraSatan and connected my MegaFile 60 and it is not being detected either.

At this point I tried cleaning the ACSI port with DeOxit, and reseated U27. No improvement. At the moment the machine is shut down to see if a rest will make a difference to the issue.

At this point I'm suspecting issues with the DMA chip, U27, which is a CO25913 part number.

Before I order a replacement DMA chip, what should I do to troubleshoot this more thoroughly?

I have seen the "DMA Fix" with the resistor array, but I don't have an array handy... I could try with regular 1/4watt resistors. Would applying this fix to J17 instead of directly to the chip work or does it need to be as close to the silicon as possible?

One item to note, is that my floppy drive seems to be having no issues at all at this point.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ACSI port woes on Mega ST2

Post by exxos »

You can use normal resistors. In fact someone recently did the mod with SMT resistors.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Have the bus resistor packs been replaced? You may want to consider this too, but it would be better to order proper SIL parts for this.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

It is possible its just an external port problem.

You could try using the internal ACSI port with your ultrasatan if you have an adaptor?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Or see if there are any bad solder joints on the mainboard for the ACSI socket.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”