CosmosEx - Setting up a shared drive with Windows 7

Various other hardware solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

CosmosEx - Setting up a shared drive with Windows 7

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I've seen a few posts of late about problems lately about setting up the shared P: drive under Windows 7 with a CosmosEx. This feature is enormously useful, since you can connect to a Windows share and easily move files to and from whatever Atari your CosmosEx is hooked up to.

Setup is simple, but there are some gotchas.

The first is that if you connect to a share on a server which is connected to a domain, you DO NOT need to prefix the domain name to the username in the CosmosEx setup. This won't work at all, just use the username that has access to the share and nothing else.

Second is similar to the first, in that if the Windows 7 machine is not on a domain, you don't need to prefix the machine name to the username either. Just the username is enough.

Thirdly, don't try and use the machine name in the CosmosEx shared drive config. It says 'IP address of server', so use the IP address!!

Fourth, You do not need to enable Windows Sharing as a feature when using Windows 7. It will work by default unless you have tweaked your registry to disable any of the SMB protocols.

Lastly, if you use DHCP, the IP address of your PC hosting the share could change, meaning the P: drive will stop working until you add in the new IP address. If you can use a static IP address for the PC hosting the share, this won't be a problem.

So with that info to hand, here is how we set up a shared drive on a plain Windows 7 machine. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, not attached to a domain, and the CosmosEx is attached to my MSTE. However this should work for any combination.

Firstly, open a command prompt on the Windows 7 PC, type IPCONFIG and hit enter:
IP_Address.jpg
IP_Address.jpg (102.82 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Record the IP address that is returned as indicated by the arrow, you'll need this later.

Next, open file explorer and create a directory to share. I've called mine 'Atari', then right click on the folder and select properties:
Win7_Sharing.jpg
Win7_Sharing.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Next click on the 'Share' button. Please ignore the 'Advanced Sharing' button, it isn't necessary for what we need.

The arrow indicates an important note, that a username and password are REQUIRED to access the share.

Once this window appears:
Win7_Sharing_Users.jpg
Win7_Sharing_Users.jpg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
You will see that there is a user pre selected. This is the current Windows logged in user who created the share. This user has full access to the share, and can be used in the CosmosEx config, so make a note of the username. Since you logged into the laptop with this username, you should know the password.

Next click on the 'Share' button and wait for the following screen to appear:
Win7_Sharing_Done.jpg
Win7_Sharing_Done.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Then click 'Done' and you should return to the following screen:
Win7_Sharing_Done_Confirmed.jpg
Win7_Sharing_Done_Confirmed.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Click on close, the sharing setup is done.

Next we need to test the share is there, so open file explorer and type \\IP_Address\ (Where this is the IP address taken in step 1) into the address bar, and hit enter. If all is well, we will see this:
Share_Test.jpg
Share_Test.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
If you don't see this, go back and check your configuration and test again.

Create a text document in the shared folder, and put some text in it. I called mine Atari.txt and I wrote the line 'This is a file on the network' in it and saved it.

Now move over to your ST and open CE_CONF.PRG. Navigate to the 'Shared Drive' settings and enter the details of the share:
Cosmos_Config.jpg
Cosmos_Config.jpg (132.67 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Ensure the following:

1. Enabled is marked with an asterisk
2. The sharing protocol Samba/cifs/windows is marked with an asterisk
3. The IP address of the server as determined in the very first step is correctly entered
4. The name of the share is correctly entered
5. The username as determined when first sharing the folder is correctly entered and does not contain the domain or machine prefix. Just the username.
6. The password for the username has been correctly entered

Then save the settings. This should give immediate access to the share without the need for a reboot.

Here we see the P: drive connected to the share and see the file 'Atari.txt'
Connected_Atari.jpg
Connected_Atari.jpg (125.35 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
And on double clicking on the file we can see its contents:
Atari_Views_Textfile.jpg
Atari_Views_Textfile.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
We can then further test by copying a folder from the Atari to our fileshare using drag and drop:
Copying_From_Atari.jpg
Copying_From_Atari.jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Followed by the copying dialog:
Copying_From_Atari_2.jpg
Copying_From_Atari_2.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
And the files copied over at the Atari:
Folder_Copied_Atari.jpg
Folder_Copied_Atari.jpg (121.35 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
And at the share:
Folder_Copied.jpg
Folder_Copied.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
As long as you follow the guidelines, you will have no problem in configuring a share as I have done here, and you can enjoy the benefits of full network file sharing on your Atari :D
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CosmosEx - Setting up a shared drive with Windows 7

Post by exxos »

@rubber_jonnie

When I click on "network and sharing" I dont get the box you get, I get this screen up...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (115.6 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

@exxos
@rubber_jonnie

What version of windows 7 are you running there were lots of them

Edit
There were 6 versions plus service packs
Tom
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Tomswork wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:55 pm What version of windows 7 are you running there were lots of them
win7 64 bit pro.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I might be clicking on the wrong thing, only just got home, to tired to concentrate, but there's nowhere to put a password in what I can see.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.98 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

That's a well built version only ultimate above it. Maybe something needs to be installed. Or service pack

Tom
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

I add user name and account from the user and accounts in control panel

Tom
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Tomswork wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:06 pm I add user name and account from the user and accounts in control panel
will have a look.

I think if I create a new account it will screw up my windows login, id end up with 2 accounts and it will bug me to click one each login ?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:02 pm I might be clicking on the wrong thing, only just got home, to tired to concentrate, but there's nowhere to put a password in what I can see.

Capture.JPG
You don't need to put in a password, Windows already knows your password.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:18 pm You don't need to put in a password, Windows already knows your password.
I don't have a windows password...

Return to “HARDWARE ESSENTIALS”