My summer project: A colour Stacy

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
derkom

Re: My summer project: A colour Stacy

Post by derkom »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:51 pm Do a google search on speakers used by model railway enthusiasts for DCC loco sound. You may find an iPhone speaker will fit and give decent sound.
That's actually an interesting thought. Don't tempt me to open this thing up again... :lol:
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

derkom wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:49 pm Aaaaaand, I can't really believe I'm saying this, but... I think I'm done? For now at least.

The finished product...

Good night! :cheer:
Beautiful...simply beautiful. :!:
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
troed

Post by troed »

Incredibly impressive. Many congratulations on finishing something that all will envy! :D

/Troed
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Absolutely fantastic!!

:girldance: :girldance: :girldance:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
derkom

Post by derkom »

Thanks for the kind words of congratulations, which I will gladly accept, because this was not an easy project, and certainly ended up taking a lot longer than I expected! :D

BTW, @PhilC, final weight is 5.5 kg. According to specs, the original Stacy was 7 kg, so this is practically a featherweight now. :lol:

Another entertaining fact... I knew the vertical clearance for the stack of upgrades inside was going to be very close, and indeed it was very close. When I had the top half of the main body closed-but-not-snapped-into-place, the system ran just fine, and then as soon as I popped it fully closed, I got constant crashing. Turns out the metal bracket in the top half of the case was touching the top of the TF536 and shorting it.

This was fixed with a bit of cardboard, but really goes to show that there's not one millimetre to spare in there. Given that my upgrade stack is sitting flat on top of a motherboard PLCC socket on the bottom, and touching the upper case on top, and the whole thing is soldered, no sockets, this project really just barely worked. :lol:

One part that is not entirely done done is the battery compartment...

IMG_20210512_113234.jpg
IMG_20210512_113234.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 3948 times

I still want to make another 3D printed bracket for the right hand side, which will contain a SATA connector (at the correct angle to make the drive slide into), two Lightning USB ports, and the JTAG connector for the TF536. But that will wait for another time, because I've got some real life work coming up now that will keep me away from hardware projects for a while.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@derkom not a bad weight loss considering exactly how much you've managed to fit back into the case as well.

I'm toying with the idea of pimping out my 9.5kg worth of 286 luggable laptop. I'm sure the case and screen weigh at least 2kg.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

Oh wow. You really got it done! I've been busy with other things so my STacy hasn't received any love recently.

I now am a happy owner of a Colour Classic with SCSI2SD, LC575 board (33Mhz 040) and 128MB RAM. Also did the 640x480 hack. It's beautiful and runs MacigMac 6.2 really nicely.
Gitbizy

Post by Gitbizy »

@derkom

Please clarify this for me:

Inside the lid of the Stacy:
1) new color LCD panel
2) controller board with HDMI input

snaking through the stacy "hole" pivot:
1) speaker/indicator wires (factory wires)
2) HDMI cable
3) wires from LCD controller board to LCD daughter board
4) power for the LCD (new wires needed)

on the Stacy case bottom:
1) buttons for the LCD daughter board

Am I correct so far?
derkom

Post by derkom »

Gitbizy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:29 pm snaking through the stacy "hole" pivot:
1) speaker/indicator wires (factory wires)
2) HDMI cable
3) wires from LCD controller board to LCD daughter board
4) power for the LCD (new wires needed)
Not quite. The LCD panel is a LVDS panel, and the HDMI-to-LVDS board is inside the top case with the panel, so there is no #3 from your list. The lid hinge hole has the factory indicator/dial/speakers wires (factory video wires removed), HDMI FFC cable, and power for the LVDS controller board, which in turn powers the panel.

Edit: I totally forgot that the LVDS board does have a daughterboard for its own controls, so you're correct that #3 exists. I've placed this daugherboard behind the RAM access door in the bottom of the Stacy.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”