Mega ST project

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
czietz

Re: Mega ST project

Post by czietz »

Iirc, the PAK manual also states to remove the Blitter. As Exxos already wrote, there is no way to disable it via the solder bridges; the chip has to be removed.
HigashiJun wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:24 am and I have the Mega ST freezing at this screen (no matter if is is at 40 Mhz or at 8 Mhz in the fallback mode):
Really frozen? Or running and just unsuccessfully trying to output something via the VGA card? If you have a speaker attached you could try if you still hear the keyclick sound.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

exxos wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:02 am Those links for the blitter are not enable disable . They route bus request signals via the blitter, or not.
Thanks Exxos.

It is good to know that.

I was convinced these 2 spots were used to disable the blitter chip.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

czietz wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:34 am Iirc, the PAK manual also states to remove the Blitter. As Exxos already wrote, there is no way to disable it via the solder bridges; the chip has to be removed.
HigashiJun wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:24 am and I have the Mega ST freezing at this screen (no matter if is is at 40 Mhz or at 8 Mhz in the fallback mode):
Really frozen? Or running and just unsuccessfully trying to output something via the VGA card? If you have a speaker attached you could try if you still hear the keyclick sound.
I have to check that.

Just wonder if there could be an address conflict somewhere when a PAK68 and a STGA/VOFA are installed at the same time...

The PAK manual also states that "Some graphics adapters may cause problems with the PAK. Again, in the end the solution is usually to choose a different graphics adapter..." and "Unfortunately, some graphics adapters can cause problems. Candidates for this are the NOVA adapters, the VOFA and the Multiboard. More on this later.".
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

@czietz

You were right.

The Mega ST does not freeze.

I can hear the keyboard click sound while the screen shows the VGA driver message.

The same happens with my other VGA card...

:?:
czietz

Post by czietz »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 am The Mega ST does not freeze.
I can hear the keyboard click sound while the screen shows the VGA driver message.
I assume that you checked that there is no output at all from the VGA card? Not even a garbled image?

Perhaps Frank Lukas can comment on the compatibility between PAK and STGA or VOFA. Or Idek can create a driver with debug messages for you.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

czietz wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 am
HigashiJun wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:39 am The Mega ST does not freeze.
I assume that you checked that there is no output at all from the VGA card? Not even a garbled image?

Perhaps Frank Lukas can comment on the compatibility between PAK and STGA or VOFA. Or Idek can create a driver with debug messages for you.
No, there is no output at all.

Everything goes back to normal once the PAK68 removed.

The CPU relocators are also OK, since my VGA cards work flawlessly when they are fitted (and PAK68 is removed).

Frank Lukas is the expert in the Atari VGA field, he can for sure have some interesting clues.

I also think Idek's drivers are really good and they are not to blame, as the same issue occurs with NVDI 5.03 drivers: everything works without the PAK68 and "freezes" when PAK is fitted.

:(
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

The VOFA Docu says that it works fine with ...

PAK-68/2, PAK-68/3 mit 68020, PAK-68/3 mit 68030 mit 32 MHz, Pro VME
Hypercache, HBS240, HBS 640/28

There are some Testprogramms for the VOFA Adapter. I build in the next two weeks a PAK68/3-020 so I can do some tests ...
VOFA_104.zip
(241.17 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

The STGA works fine with my PAK68/2-020
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Thank you Frank.

It would be nice to have a feedback from you once your PAK68/3 is built.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

What are your pullups ?

Have you a STORM ST install ?
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

My pull-ups on the motherboard are 2.2 K.

Yes, I also have a STORM ST fitted.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”