Mega ST project

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mega ST project

Post by exxos »

HigashiJun wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:06 pm I will perform other tests, and if there are no results, I guess I will have to give up...
I think I mentioned this before, which is why I developed the MEGA clock buffer board. But I think we had this conversation already.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

exxos wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:09 pm
HigashiJun wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:06 pm I will perform other tests, and if there are no results, I guess I will have to give up...
I think I mentioned this before, which is why I developed the MEGA clock buffer board. But I think we had this conversation already.
Yes, but unfortunately your board is not in your online store any more...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

HigashiJun wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:17 pm Yes, but unfortunately your board is not in your online store any more...
I know, but you only need to add a schmitt buffer to the CPU 8MHz clock really in this case.

In fact, just put your scope on the 8Mhz clock on the CPU on x10 first, see if things get better or worse..

Simply adding 68R in series with the CPU clock may help.. it really depends on what signal is causing the failure though.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
czietz

Post by czietz »

HigashiJun wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:06 pm My PAK has just 2 spots for GND and VCC. 2 thick wires are connected to GND and 1 thick wire is connected to VCC.
That's what I was referring to. A good ground connection in particular is required to reduce ground bounce.
exxos wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:41 pm I know, but you only need to add a schmitt buffer to the CPU 8MHz clock really in this case.
Considering that the 68000 clock line is conveniently located between ground and Vcc pins, it should be relatively easy to "bodge" a SN74LVC1G17 onto the relocator to test if this helps.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

HigashiJun wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:50 am Like this one...

Gotek.jpeg
Yes :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

czietz wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:36 am Sorry, I haven't followed this thread. Did you solder multiple additional ground (and possibly also +5 V) connections from the PAK to the mainboard? As short as possible and made from thick wire, as described in the PAK manual? In my experience, the PAK3 is one of the least troublesome accelerators.
Sufficient grounding is actually a big deal. I think I've got 3 grounds coming off my Pak board in total. The manual stresses this as did Holger Zimmerman himself, when I corresponded with him. Clean bus signal, grounding, solid P/S, those seem to be the usual issues that cause
problems.

I totally agree with you Czietz. I've played around with several accelerator boards over the years and the Pak 68/3 and AdSpeed remain at the
top of the list for being the most reliable and having had the least problems with...

PS Would have to check to see exactly how many grounds I have but I know it's multiple...
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

@exxos @czietz

Thank you both for your advices.

I will check that as soon as I get the Schmitt trigger.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Today's update:

No more weird issues today with the new CPU relocator...

Everything runs smooth as before and even at 40 Mhz:

CPUbench.jpeg
CPUbench.jpeg (435.66 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

The FDD is also OK:

FDD.jpeg
FDD.jpeg (540.17 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

The problem was the blitter. After having soldered the 2 blitter spots on the Mega ST motherboard to disable it, I have refitted the chip in its socket. And even with the blitter disabled, the chip was causing issues.

So the main goal now is to make the PAK68 run with the STGA or VOFA adapter, and as for now, it does not want to.

VOFA.jpeg
VOFA.jpeg (356.21 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

and I have the Mega ST freezing at this screen (no matter if is is at 40 Mhz or at 8 Mhz in the fallback mode):

Freeze.jpeg
Freeze.jpeg (377.9 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

Seems the journey is not yet over...

;)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Those links for the blitter are not enable disable . They route bus request signals via the blitter, or not.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I was advised that my PAK68/2 wouldn't work with the Blitter, you may want to check if it's the same for your version.

EDIT: Here is the link to that info: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... tory#p5092

PAK68/3 is a no for the Blitter too.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”