Mega ST project

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
HigashiJun

Re: Mega ST project

Post by HigashiJun »

Yes, the Lightning ST provides such a solution with nicely 3D printed brackets for the USB ports, but since (if everything goes as expected...) the ET4000 VGA will be in the way, I have to find another place.

I personally do not like to heavily modify the aesthetics of my retro machines and try to keep as much as possible the original looks (the real power hides inside the inoffensive looking "beast"...). :)
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Received a 40 Mhz oscillator today and tried it.

Result: worst than the 50 Mhz one.

Could not get to the desktop, random bombs and the FDD was making a freaky noise...

Quite weird.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Darklord wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:17 am Congratulations on getting your "mega" project to this point. :)

I put the USB ports in the expansion cover on the back of the
Mega ST for my Lightning ST setup. Dead handy.

I suppose it would be much more convenient and accessible
if one could have them in the front casing but I was afraid
that I would mar the looks of my machine...

Mega ST4-Lighnting ST01.JPG
You could always get a Gotek on a 3d printed mount and add USB to the front.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Like this one...

Gotek.jpeg
Gotek.jpeg (222.82 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

HigashiJun wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:29 am Yes, the Lightning ST provides such a solution with nicely 3D printed brackets for the USB ports, but since (if everything goes as expected...) the ET4000 VGA will be in the way, I have to find another place.

I personally do not like to heavily modify the aesthetics of my retro machines and try to keep as much as possible the original looks (the real power hides inside the inoffensive looking "beast"...). :)
Well....mine is in the back, but since you're using a video card you don't have much choice. - so I fully understand what you're saying. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

I have finally received today the 4 layers CPU relocator PCBs from China.

PCB.jpeg
PCB.jpeg (324.53 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

This relocator was initially designed for the Amiga, but as our machines share the same CPU, it is not an issue.

Once the DIL socket and headers soldered, everything was fitted back in the Mega ST.

CPUreloc.jpeg
CPUreloc.jpeg (358.24 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

Since this new relocator is 4 layers and is shorter than the previous one, I hoped I would not have any quirks but I was totally wrong...

Issues are completely different, and the only way to have a stable machine is to fit the PAK68 directly in the CPU socket on the motherboard, at least in my Mega ST.

:(
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It might be a 8mhz clock issue ? I had no end of trouble with it. I never got my PAK to work in any of my machines anyway :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

What were the inner copper planes? Both ground or one power and one ground?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
czietz

Post by czietz »

HigashiJun wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:51 am Issues are completely different, and the only way to have a stable machine is to fit the PAK68 directly in the CPU socket on the motherboard, at least in my Mega ST.
Sorry, I haven't followed this thread. Did you solder multiple additional ground (and possibly also +5 V) connections from the PAK to the mainboard? As short as possible and made from thick wire, as described in the PAK manual? In my experience, the PAK3 is one of the least troublesome accelerators.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

@stephen_usher

Seems weird, but I have just check the Gerbers and there is no connections for GND and VCC...

@czietz

My PAK has just 2 spots for GND and VCC. 2 thick wires are connected to GND and 1 thick wire is connected to VCC.

The PAK itself works, but when combined with a CPU relocator, I have issues with the FDD and the STVGA or VOFA.

@exxos

I will perform other tests, and if there are no results, I guess I will have to give up...

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”