Odd OSSC interference - Has anybody experienced this?

All information relating to connecting your ST to a modern TV/monitor.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Odd OSSC interference - Has anybody experienced this?

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:47 am I suspect you may have a grounding problem. It is why I suggested making sure you use the same power point for all items. The only way to really prove this would be to run the OSSC and Atari on battery to isolate it from the mains GND.. Simple if you have a "portable" UPSU I guess..
The Atari and OSSC were plugged into the same power bar. I will have a play and see if I can improve it with my spare data centre power bar.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
eightbit

Post by eightbit »

I had the same issue with an OSSC and a ZX Spectrum (using a Harlequin) some time ago. Literally the exact same picture at what you had posted in the first post with those dots.

I had the OSSC connected to a SCART switcher by Lotharek. I also had an Amiga and a few other machines connected to the same switch. But, oddly, only the Speccy produced a display with the dots. I totally thought this was an issue with the Harlequin board.

But, then I noticed it was not consistent. One day, it looked fine. Another day, the dots. I shuffled around power supplies and wall power and it seems to have disappeared. I suspect a ground loop problem as others have mentioned.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I've just replaced several power bars with a single data centre compatible unit, so will have a play round see if I can improve it.

But, I think it's likely to be the TV since the interference goes when I unplug the HDMI cable.

I've just pulled some other HDMI cables out of storage too, so will have a play there.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I introduced a new scenario over the weekend as I am adding in a Retrotink to the mix so any of my composite devices can go out to HDMI also.

The set up is this:

Retrotink and OSSC are both connected to an HDMI switch and a single cable goes out to the TV.

I had my QL connected to the Retrotink and the OSSC switched off and could see the interference on the QLs output, so unplugged the power from the OSSC and the dot's disappeared.

I tried moving the OSSC PSU to different sockets, but no change, so it's looking like the OSSC PSU is definitely the the culprit.

Thanks for everybody's input, I just need to try and find a PSU that isn't causing the interference, which is annoying because the PSU was new with the OSSC, and as I've had it over a year it's probably too late to send it back.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

So, it seems that I've found the solution to my OSSC problem.

Turns out it was the PSU all along. I swapped over to the PSU for the one from the Retrotink and all interference disappeared. I'm sure I already did this, but it's possible I just went "It's new, it can't be that".

Anyway, I found another PSU swapped it in and it's all good. Very strange, but glad it's gone.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:59 pm So, it seems that I've found the solution to my OSSC problem.

Turns out it was the PSU all along. I swapped over to the PSU for the one from the Retrotink and all interference disappeared. I'm sure I already did this, but it's possible I just went "It's new, it can't be that".

Anyway, I found another PSU swapped it in and it's all good. Very strange, but glad it's gone.
It's always the PSU. ;-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:16 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:59 pm So, it seems that I've found the solution to my OSSC problem.

It's always the PSU. ;-)
Yeah, bloody cheap ass thing :(

I'm about to start tidying up all my wiring, so figured it was a good time to do it.

Return to “DISPLAYS & CONVERTERS”