XGecu TL866II Plus photos (from Amazon)

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XGecu TL866II Plus photos (from Amazon)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

olivier.jan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:35 pm Yep, I fried an EEPROM chip or two before finding this hack from @troed https://blog.troed.se/2020/07/22/plcc- ... ith-tl866/
It's what I did with my adapter :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I've a PCB I made for an adapter for mine.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

olivier.jan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:35 pm Yep, I fried an EEPROM chip or two before finding this hack from @troed https://blog.troed.se/2020/07/22/plcc- ... ith-tl866/
Ah this is great thank you! Also does anyone have uploads of pre-made dual TOS ROMs I could burn to this Atmal EPROM I pictured earlier? @exxos you don't happen to have the file for the EPROM you burned for me that one time do you? (Was 2.06 and EMUTOS)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

If you're using Linux it's simple to make a dual ROM image (as long as the originals are 256K each). You merely have to use 'cat' to join them together, e.g.

cat rom1.bin rom2.bin > combined.bin

You can use dd to pad files to the correct length.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

@Steve the images I make probably won't work with your programmer. You have the byte order to contend with for starters. But if you have a ROM why not just copy it and save some trouble ? IMO you should practice with the ROM images on the forum and get a single ROM working before getting more complicated with dualtos ROMs.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
derkom

Post by derkom »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:38 pm If you're using Linux it's simple to make a dual ROM image (as long as the originals are 256K each). You merely have to use 'cat' to join them together, e.g.

cat rom1.bin rom2.bin > combined.bin

You can use dd to pad files to the correct length.
Or @tzok made CartMan, a nice little Windows utility for managing ROM images, which will do the necessary padding and combining for you, and can also byteswap, etc. It likely runs fine on Wine if you're using Linux.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

The process I tend to use is to start an emulator like Hatari or Steem (If you're running Linux then Hatari is the best option) and set up a machine running the ROM you want, then use one of the ST rom dumping apps such as ROMDUMP or TOSDUMP to dump the ROMs to file directly.

If you need to split the ROMs, say you want to drop a 6 chip set into a 2 chip set machine, you can use ROMSPLIT on the ST too.

I'd advise a good hex editor, I use HxD under Windows, which you'd have to use under Wine, and of course as Derkom has mentioned, cartman is a fantastic little utility for use under Windows (Wine) too.

The best advice I can offer is take your time.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

Okay thank you guys! Much appreciated all the tips. I'll take my time.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Steve I think that DIP to PLCC adaptor may need a couple of wires adding to be able to program those eproms. Mine did at least. Will see if I can dig out what I had to do.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

If you'd working with PLCC, my Falcon guide will be pretty close.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =27&t=4271

Concatentating ROMs is as simple as Stephen explains above.

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark

Return to “ELECTRONICS”