Smonson's poorly-thought-out toaster oven reflow experiments

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Smonson

Re: Smonson's poorly-thought-out toaster oven reflow experiments

Post by Smonson »

My plan for the weekend was to apply solder paste directly to the IC leads before placement. But it turns out it wasn't as simple as I was hoping. I had a lot of trouble getting the right amount of paste applied to the IC leads.
toaster-reflow11.jpg
toaster-reflow11.jpg (240.32 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
This was done using a set of dentist's tools which are actually perfect for the job, but with the tiny sizes involved, it just wasn't possible to put a small enough quantity of paste on the "feet".

After I soldered this one there were still far too many bridged leads. I'll have to wait for a stencil on my next run of boards.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I have been thinking of a similar plan for my Mac Classic. CPU seemed to be dead based on the fact that it was too hot to touch, but all the voltages were good. So I removed it and have a socket to put in it's place, but seriously worried about the amount of solder paste I need to use, so was thinking of applying it to the socket rather than the PCB, then I can run the flux pen across the contacts on the PCB before attempting to line up. Too much will cause bridges that will be pretty hard to deal with.

I suppose at least I have a x1000 magnifier so I can inspect it.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:11 pm I have been thinking of a similar plan for my Mac Classic. CPU seemed to be dead based on the fact that it was too hot to touch, but all the voltages were good. So I removed it and have a socket to put in it's place, but seriously worried about the amount of solder paste I need to use, so was thinking of applying it to the socket rather than the PCB, then I can run the flux pen across the contacts on the PCB before attempting to line up. Too much will cause bridges that will be pretty hard to deal with.

I suppose at least I have a x1000 magnifier so I can inspect it.
You can't squeeze in there with the braid afterwards? Maybe you could do some practice runs beforehand on another board. The package I've used for my test is 0.65mm pitch, but for bigger stuff like 0.8 I think it would work a lot better. I think the pitch on most PLCC sockets is 1.27mm so you might be on the road to an easy success!
DrF

Post by DrF »

What about getting one of those controller kits?
They were quite the fashion a few years ago, I suspect they have come down loads now with the masses of cheap micro controllers all over the place.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

DrF wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:40 pm What about getting one of those controller kits?
They were quite the fashion a few years ago, I suspect they have come down loads now with the masses of cheap micro controllers all over the place.
To control the oven? I'm expecting it to be a lot quicker and cheaper to scratch-build it. Plus, I don't know what kind of display I need to mount on the front yet. It depends on what will fit into the space.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Smonson wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:31 pm
You can't squeeze in there with the braid afterwards? Maybe you could do some practice runs beforehand on another board. The package I've used for my test is 0.65mm pitch, but for bigger stuff like 0.8 I think it would work a lot better. I think the pitch on most PLCC sockets is 1.27mm so you might be on the road to an easy success!
The socket doesn't make for easy access with an iron and braid after the fact due to the way it's made, and I don't have another board I can practise on sadly. The connectors to the PCB are inside the socket in order for it to be large enough for the 68K to plug in. One thing I won't do here is rush it as I only have one chance for success!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Hmmm you could get some boards made, I think it would be worth it.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Smonson wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:34 pm Hmmm you could get some boards made, I think it would be worth it.
Actually, as it happens a chap from Germany I've been talking to on 68kMLA has just told me he's sent me over some dead boards for spares, so looks like I will have some for practice runs plus hopefully some of the Apple chips as spares :)
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

@rubber_jonnie

How many plcc smd sockets did you order. Are they the type you can cut the center plastic out of for working inside with a iron

Tom
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Tomswork wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:04 pm @rubber_jonnie

How many plcc smd sockets did you order. Are they the type you can cut the center plastic out of for working inside with a iron

Tom
Stupidly, I ordered one :headbang:

I will order some more from the same supplier since they do have a center plastic piece that I could remove.

EDIT: More sockets on the way!!

Return to “ELECTRONICS”