AstroAI Digital Multimeter, TRMS 6000

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
PeckPeekPoke

AstroAI Digital Multimeter, TRMS 6000

Post by PeckPeekPoke »

I had been in the market for a budget multimeter for some time. Upon reading Rubber Jonnie's introduction to the economy multimeters by AstroAI. I found the $30 AstroAI TRMS 6000. This beast is jam-packed with features and is surprisingly well-constructed. It includes two AA batteries, two probes, and a thermocouple for its built-in thermometer. It tests AC/DC voltage, resistance, capacitance (5% precision), continuity, tests diodes, frequency, duty-cycle, AC/DC Current (uA to 10A), Temperature in F&C, non-contact voltage detection, live-wire detection (with single probe), and a flashlight.
For another $15 I added the extra probe kit which is depicted to the right of the meter:

mm6k_accessories.jpg
mm6k_accessories.jpg (237.73 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

Here you can see my lovely handiwork by the light of the TRMS' flashlight:

mm6k_light.jpg
mm6k_light.jpg (133.4 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

After setting the meter to measure amperage, the appropriate probe port will light up to help prevent the user from overloading the device.

mm6k_amps.jpg
mm6k_amps.jpg (186.74 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

The display is large and easily legible from a distance, and can be backlit if desired. The switch position for testing continuity and resistance, is not labelled for capacitance, but if "Func" is pushed, this is the same position used for testing capacitance. Here I discover several faulty caps on an ailing 800xl motherboard, then test a resistor.

mm6k_resistance.jpg
mm6k_resistance.jpg (228.98 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

This multimeter is clothed in a red rubber suit, which must be peeled off before opening the case to access its two fuses.

mm6k_inside.jpg
mm6k_inside.jpg (210.75 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

I've only had this beast one day, so I cannot attest to its longevity; thus far it has withstood some abuse admirably, and seems to be a great deal. Highly recommended.
FOR GREAT JUSTICE. TAKE OUT EVERY ZIG
800xl+U1mb, STfm, STe, 030

Return to “ELECTRONICS”