Using HDDriver 10.14 to Create Eight Partitions (First One Bootable) on a 4GB SD Card

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Using HDDriver 10.14 to Create Eight Partitions (First One Bootable) on a 4GB SD Card

Post by Icky »

Whilst testing the IDE DEV board https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 640#p18489 I thought it a good idea to make a video of how to partition a 4GB card with eight partions and setting the first one as bootable by installing the HDDriver on that partition.

There are a lot of options in the HDDriver and I'll add to this over time for partitioning with some of these options as we continue to test the IDE interface.

PhilC

Re: Using HDDriver 10.14 to Create Eight Partitions (First One Bootable) on a 4GB SD Card

Post by PhilC »

Good idea. I like the new driver and have used a few of the interesting bits so far but a lot is TOS dependant.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PaulJ

Re: Using HDDriver 10.14 to Create Eight Partitions (First One Bootable) on a 4GB SD Card

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks for the demo Icky since the manual doesn't come with the package. Who would have thunk that the driver package would default to windows with byte reverse enabled. :( :( :(

I haven't run across anything that doesn't work yet, have tried 4 GB san disk, 4 GB Transcend Compact flash, and a WD Caviar 310100 3.5 inch IDE drive. :) :)
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Icky Just wondering if/where there is a set of instructions on how to create an SD (or CF) card to swap between TRUDIE & the PC... the TRUDIE is in my H4 board with TOS 2.06 enabled at the moment

I've tried a few combinations of settings in HDDriver 11 but so far haven't hit upon the magic settings.
I have managed to create a bootable partition on a CF card (32Meg!) for the H4 but not one that is then readable by the PC as well.

Any ideas/hints/videos etc. will be most welcome!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

@JezC ill take. Look tomorrow to see how. It’s been a while so will have to dust out a few cob webs :)
JezC

Post by JezC »

Icky wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:56 pm @JezC ill take. Look tomorrow to see how. It’s been a while so will have to dust out a few cob webs :)
No problem - I can swap out the flaky floppy drive & crappy keyboard which are in use on the proto-build systems (so that nothing too precious goes splat if I have a disaster).

Just grateful for the info as/when you can look at it - bound to be something obvious...when we have it working! :lol: :roll:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:51 pm Just wondering if/where there is a set of instructions on how to create an SD (or CF) card to swap between TRUDIE & the PC... the TRUDIE is in my H4 board with TOS 2.06 enabled at the moment
IIRC you just have TOS & windows combined selected in HD11 (byte swap turned off) . OR just format the SD card on the PC with a 256MB partition for starters.. and let HD11 pick it up..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:26 pm IIRC you just have TOS & windows combined selected in HD11 (byte swap turned off) . OR just format the SD card on the PC with a 256MB partition for starters.. and let HD11 pick it up..
Ok, thx, may make time to try that tomorrow...wasn't sure if a vanilla FAT32 format (running Windows 7) on the PC was suitable.

Once I've done that I just need to work out why trying to locate HDDriver in the auto of the floppy it's just booted with isn't working (as I need to install it on the partition on the IDE card...I think) :shrug:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:51 pm @Icky Just wondering if/where there is a st of instructions on how to create an SD (or CF) card to swap between TRUDIE & the PC... the TRUDIE is in my H4 board with TOS 2.06 enabled at the moment

I've tried a few combinations of settings in HDDriver 11 but so far haven't hit upon the magic settings.
I have managed to create a bootable partition on a CF card (32Meg!) for the H4 but not one that is then readable by the PC as well.

Any ideas/hints/videos etc. will be most welcome!
Hmm, I thought I'd done a guide for this already, but yes, you need to set up the partitions for TOS & Window at the same time, which is done through the HDDRIVER config tool. you don't need a FAT32 partition, you just need to format it right on the ST.

As @exxos said, just go for all 256MB partitions with HDDRIVER and don't forget with V11 you can use Blitter acceleration too.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ok, thanks @exxos & @rubber_jonnie I'll try doing it all on the ST tomorrow & then check it's still readable on the PC (possibly before I install HDDriver on the card)...

I'll let you know how I get on!

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”