Installing alt-ram assembly problem

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Installing alt-ram assembly problem

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 pm DMA does get screwed up.. but its odd.. Because there is only one Incorrect icon in a directory list on the floppy...

But video gets trashed totally, I just get a totally blank screen all the time, unless something crashes and I then can actually see bombs.. So it is like screen memory is getting allocated somewhere it should not be... I mean sysinfo would tell me that, but I cannot see the screen to check that :lol: :roll:
Dont know if this is anything to do with anything but the CDTV does something similar when you put fast ram in it (non-dma'able) fast ram. The buffer is allocated somewhere where DMA cant happen because the OS isnt smart enough to know about such things.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:19 pm Dont know if this is anything to do with anything but the CDTV does something similar when you put fast ram in it (non-dma'able) fast ram. The buffer is allocated somewhere where DMA cant happen because the OS isnt smart enough to know about such things.
Could be... AFAIK TOS allocates screen memory towards the top end of RAM.. so if it then has 12MB of RAM, nothing will ever access video RAM and it will remain white.. Which it does.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I take it that there's a gap in the memory map between the ST RAM and your alt-RAM? If not I wonder if that might be confusing the ROM code.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:40 pm I take it that there's a gap in the memory map between the ST RAM and your alt-RAM? If not I wonder if that might be confusing the ROM code.
Thats a good shout. I've only ever tried adding alt-ram on a 1Mb STFM. There were no issues. Maybe this is why.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
mfro

Post by mfro »

exxos wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 pm DMA does get screwed up.. but its odd..
If you add Altram that is not DMA accessible, you also need to allocate the FRB and set the _FRB cookie.
Are you doing that?
And remember: Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

mfro wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:57 am
exxos wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 pm DMA does get screwed up.. but its odd..
If you add Altram that is not DMA accessible, you also need to allocate the FRB and set the _FRB cookie.
Are you doing that?
This all happens before it gets to desktop...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”