Spectre GCR on the TT.

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

stephen_usher

Spectre GCR on the TT.

Post by stephen_usher »

I wonder if any of you know whether it's the Spectre GCR application or the emulated Mac produces the *BOOP* when you start the emulator?

I'm yet again trying to get Spectre GCR to work on my TT and it would be useful to know if the Mac ROM code is actually starting or not.

The symptoms are that when you hit Return to start the emulation the machine changes to ST High, the floppy drive gets accessed and there's the Mac Plus *BOOP* sound then the machine hard-hangs. This has happened since the TT was new, so it's not age related.

The same (3.0) software and cartridge works fine on every one of my other STs and STe, including the ST with the TF536 installed.

I'm guessing this is probably another of those problems where cartridges which use "write using read" fail on my TT for whatever reason. The advantage of the Spectre GCR cartridge is that it's all DIL TTL chips so relatively easy to fit test wires for a logic analyser.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spectre GCR on the TT.

Post by Icky »

My Spectre GCR does work on my TT. However one thing that is restrictive is it can only see ACSI hard drives not SCSI or IDE (if using Thunder)

If I get chance I'll have a look to see what creates the *BOOP*
stephen_usher

Re: Spectre GCR on the TT.

Post by stephen_usher »

Thanks. I know that it has to page the two halves of the ROMs as the ROMs are 128KB but there's only 64KB visible at any one time. I'm guessing that it must make a workable copy in RAM.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “SOFTWARE”