Hatari on Mac OS Catalina

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hatari on Mac OS Catalina

Post by rubber_jonnie »

troed wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:38 am You could try using one of the dev builds. After the release of 2.3.1 I've switched the build system over to newer Xcode as well as now signing everything with proper gatekeeper credentials.

https://troed.ddns.net/d/b90229b625/

/Troed
Ahh, awesome I'll try that :) thanks.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:24 pm Jon, you can always upgrade to Big Sur, the general consensus is its better than Calalina bugwize. Really don't know though since I'm hiding out with Mojave. :D Thinking about getting a M1 Mini just to play with which would have Big Sur. :D
My Mac is a mid 2012 MBP so theoretically no Big Sur for me, as Catalina is the max it'll do. I am pretty damn impressed though, as for a £230 machine that is 9 years old, it really does look and feel very modern.

However, I am aware that it is still possible to do, I'd just rather not muck about too much with patchers and whatnot until I'm a bit more familiar with the OS.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm I've recently started using a MacBook Pro as daily driver as I wanted to get used to Mac OS, and my main laptop is currently serving as a streaming box whilst we're in temporary accommodation.

[...]

So I'm after some advice re Hatari on Catalina please.

If you use it, did you have similar problems and how did you resolve them? Am I missing some sort of Mac security thing because I'm still getting familiar with the OS?

Any help gratefully received.
I'm using Hatari 2.3.1 on 10.15.7 and it works without issues (newer Macbook, but that doesn't matter in this case).

There are several issues that could crop up here (you already ruled out some of them, but listing them for completeness...):

1. OneDrive potentially can display data that is only partially available (it's displayed for an app application OneDrive data, but not downloaded and as such file functions when applied to it can fail)

2. Quarantine attribute might be set. You can remove quarantine attributes in the terminal with

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine FileName

If you've downloaded the official Hatari zip (like I did), make sure you've removed quarantine attributes before unzipping. Otherwise all unpacked files will still contain the quarantine attribute, triggering divers security measures.

3. permissions or user ID might not match. Check also unzipped files for it.

4. Some of the folders for security reasons by default are prevent for execution - e.g. the download folder - or will ask the user of that app for data access confirmation. Enter the System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy and add apps/permissions for the Full disk or folder access

Best,
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@pixelpusher Awesome, thanks for that, I will check it out, I wasn't aware of that quarantine bit.

I'm using the same versions of Hatari/Catalina as you, so you may be onto something.

Hatari was downloaded on the Mac and unzipped there, but I didn't remove the quarantine bit, so I will try afresh later.
sety

Post by sety »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:24 pm Jon, you can always upgrade to Big Sur, the general consensus is its better than Calalina bugwize. Really don't know though since I'm hiding out with Mojave. :D Thinking about getting a M1 Mini just to play with which would have Big Sur. :D
We've had some massive headaches with Big Sur but they're all sorted now. Minecraft was an issue, but Microsoft Edu was quick to release 1.14.50 which works very well on the new ARM based Mac. I'm due to get my MacBook replaced next year, not my choice, it's policy - and I'm not looking forward to it... Mostly because I'm going to lose my cross-68k toolchain which took a lot of sweat and tears to set up.

It is refreshing however, to see an architecture other than Intel on the consumer PC market.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

sety wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:19 pm
We've had some massive headaches with Big Sur but they're all sorted now. Minecraft was an issue, but Microsoft Edu was quick to release 1.14.50 which works very well on the new ARM based Mac. I'm due to get my MacBook replaced next year, not my choice, it's policy - and I'm not looking forward to it... Mostly because I'm going to lose my cross-68k toolchain which took a lot of sweat and tears to set up.

It is refreshing however, to see an architecture other than Intel on the consumer PC market.
Although my machine is well specced, 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM and a 1TB HDD, I'm pretty sure being mid 2012, Catalina is the last proper update I can get without using something like DosDude's patcher, and whilst I've read good things about it, I just don't want to risk messing up the machine as Hatari aside, it's running great. For 9 years old I am shocked how good it still is and do get the reason why folks hang onto them for so long.

I agree, it's nice to see alternatives in the market, but I think they are going to have to consider upgradeability and repair more carefully because that is one thing that would stop me buying an M1.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Although my machine is well specced, 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM and a 1TB HDD, I'm pretty sure being mid 2012, Catalina is the last proper update I can get without using something like DosDude's patcher, and whilst I've read good things about it, I just don't want to risk messing up the machine as Hatari aside, it's running great. For 9 years old I am shocked how good it still is and do get the reason why folks hang onto them for so long.

I agree, it's nice to see alternatives in the market, but I think they are going to have to consider upgradeability and repair more carefully because that is one thing that would stop me buying an M1.
Totally different idea here Jon, I like the totally integrated SOC M1. Having all the stuff integrated on the chip makes this chip fly not to mention its much more reliable and sips power unlike Intel. Actually stopped in the Apple store yesterday and saw one running for real. It’s amazing a low end machine with that performance. Even the emulated x86 apps are fast. I’ve decided to get one to play with. It’s got to have some software issues being the first. Jon you have to think of it as a hammer. When you pick it out and buy it.. that’s it. It will never be any more.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:49 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Totally different idea here Jon, I like the totally integrated SOC M1. Having all the stuff integrated on the chip makes this chip fly not to mention its much more reliable and sips power unlike Intel. Actually stopped in the Apple store yesterday and saw one running for real. It’s amazing a low end machine with that performance. Even the emulated x86 apps are fast. I’ve decided to get one to play with. It’s got to have some software issues being the first. Jon you have to think of it as a hammer. When you pick it out and buy it.. that’s it. It will never be any more.
I do get it, but coming from an engineering background I don't like things that are deliberately difficult to fix and require expensive manufacturer intervention when they have a fault. Given I have a flagship mobile phone you'd think I'd be more open to it, but at the moment it is just too new fo me to get on the bandwagon.

Given how good my cheap ass MBP from 2012 is, I do get why people like them, but for me it's too early, and whilst there are tangible performance benefits to the unified architecture, I'm not ready for it yet.

Given how many generations of mobile phone we're up to, I feel safe that my expensive mobile will be fine, and I don't feel that way about M1.

I have no doubt it'll be very successful, I'll wait for a few generations, and see how they pan out repair wise. I am very much liking the OS though.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie, Intel has been struggling to get 14nm chips right for years... years behind schedule. The M1 is 5 nm.. doubtful Intel will ever get there. With the SOC having everything integrated it's great for speed and reliability. I'm buying one.. One of the reasons we're involved in the retro computer world is you can still work on the hardware which is a decades old. I changed an iPhone battery once. that was my limit working with new tech. Screws are so small you can hardly see them, connectors are likewise small. Can you imagine attempting to change a component? Most everything that is new now is not user serviceable. Give a good ole Atari.. Mega. I don't plan on working on any modern electronics, just want them as reliable as possible.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:13 pm @rubber_jonnie , Intel has been struggling to get 14nm chips right for years... years behind schedule. The M1 is 5 nm.. doubtful Intel will ever get there. With the SOC having everything integrated it's great for speed and reliability. I'm buying one.. One of the reasons were involved in the retro computer world is you can still work on the hardware which is a decades old. I changed an iPhone battery once. that was my limit working with new tech. Screws are so small you can hardly see them, connectors are likewise small. Can you imagine attempting to change a component? Most everything that is new now is not user seviceable. Give a good ole Atari.. Mega. I don't plan on working on any modern electronics, just want them as reliable as possible.
I've been watching quite a bit about Intel of late, and they have definitely dropped the ball. The latest gen chips just don't seem to have anything good to offer apart perhaps from the PCIE Gen4 stuff, that really is only a whisper of a promise of good things to come. Their thermals are appalling too, and when you sit them next to the latest AMD offerings, they don't look so good.

Like you, I doubt is any X86 CPU will be 5nm any time soon. Being somebody who has built and repaired PCs/Servers for many years I just don't like the idea that if the memory fails, even Apple won't repair it, you'll just have to pay for a new logic board when it dies just out of warranty.

I personally don't want to be repairing modern stuff, but being able to upgrade RAM and storage seems pretty fundamental to me, logical even. Perhaps I've not owned a Mac long enough to get it yet!!

I have no doubt that more Arm based SOC platforms will appear though, and laptops will definitely start to converge with mobile phones in terms of architecture.

Like you say though, having the retro stuff is nice and actually repairable!!

Return to “SOFTWARE”