Hatari on Mac OS Catalina

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hatari on Mac OS Catalina

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I've recently started using a MacBook Pro as daily driver as I wanted to get used to Mac OS, and my main laptop is currently serving as a streaming box whilst we're in temporary accommodation.

I have to say that I do rather like Mac OS, and I have everything I have on my Mac that I have on my PC, plus being a little smaller it is a bit easier to lug around. Given that the Mac I'm using is from 2012 and only cost me £230, it holds its own remarkably well against more modern machines, and still looks modern too.

That being said, I've run into some Hatari hitches and wondered if anybody else using a Mac with Catalina had run into the same.

Firstly, I have OneDrive installed and it's where I store all my Atari files. I tried to point Hatari to the TOS ROM files there, but Hatari kept complaining about the files being bad.

Thinking it was a OneDrive thing, I copied the files to my Downloads folder, but still got the same error. I then downloaded a couple of TOS images from http://www.avtandil.narod.ru/tose.html direct to the same location (Local Downloads folder), and lo and behold they worked just fine.

I then tried pulling down a .ST image file from OneDrive, but that wouldn't work either.

Now it had occurred to me that it was all a permissions issue, so did try changing them to see if it made a difference, but sadly it didn't, and in terms of the permissions it looks like I am good to go. But still things don't work, yet if I run Hatari on my PC and use the same files from OneDrive everything is fine and dandy.

So I'm after some advice re Hatari on Catalina please.

If you use it, did you have similar problems and how did you resolve them? Am I missing some sort of Mac security thing because I'm still getting familiar with the OS?

Any help gratefully received.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Re: Hatari on Mac OS Catalina

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie, Only thing I can think of it's an issue with 32 bit apps. Mojave was the last MacOS that supports 32 bit apps. I have Hatari 2.3.1 running on Mojave flawlessly.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Which version are you using @rubber_jonnie ? If it were a 32 bit issue it wouldn't run at all.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm Firstly, I have OneDrive installed and it's where I store all my Atari files. I tried to point Hatari to the TOS ROM files there, but Hatari kept complaining about the files being bad.

Thinking it was a OneDrive thing, I copied the files to my Downloads folder, but still got the same error. I then downloaded a couple of TOS images from http://www.avtandil.narod.ru/tose.html direct to the same location (Local Downloads folder), and lo and behold they worked just fine.

I then tried pulling down a .ST image file from OneDrive, but that wouldn't work either.

Now it had occurred to me that it was all a permissions issue, so did try changing them to see if it made a difference, but sadly it didn't, and in terms of the permissions it looks like I am good to go. But still things don't work, yet if I run Hatari on my PC and use the same files from OneDrive everything is fine and dandy.

So I'm after some advice re Hatari on Catalina please.
I don't recall if I ever used Hatari under Catalina, but it works OK for me under Big Sur, its successor.

One thing that's changed recently in MacOS is granting of permissions for certain directories (so and so program wants to access your Desktop/Documents Folder/Removable drive/whatever). I think there's another level of permissioning on top of what we're used to.

Maybe try creating a special directory for Hatari under your home directory ($HOME/hatari) -- which is *definitely* local not iCloud or OneDrive, or considered 'special'?

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Atari74user

Post by Atari74user »

I have to say, I am not quite sure why you are having such issues, but it must be something unique-ish to your set up. I am still using Catalina on a 2015 MacBook Pro, as I am still waiting for a number of "music" manufactures to give the absolute all clear for Big Sur compatibility for their hardware and software. I do not use Hatari religiously, but I do run it on the odd occasion. I use the latest version of Hatari, and with no issues whatsoever, other than not everything runs under EmuTOS, so I mostly use TOS 2.06, and 1.04 for older software. I've never seen any "bad file" image error.
AtariTOSser
Medusa Hades 060 512mb, ET4000 / MACH64 | Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI, FA8, GigaFile & CT60e | Atari Jaguar, GD, Skunkboard & Cat Box | Atari 520STFM 4mb, Exxos Booster, TOS switcher, OverScan, UltraSatan, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, ICD Link 2, ADAP, ADAP II, Lynex, ADAS-ST, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMPII, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & ExPort...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm Which version are you using @rubber_jonnie ? If it were a 32 bit issue it wouldn't run at all.
It runs fine with anything downloaded directly to Mac, just not copied from OneDrive.

Hatari version is 2.3.1
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Badwolf wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:18 pm
I don't recall if I ever used Hatari under Catalina, but it works OK for me under Big Sur, it's successor.

One thing that's changed recently in MacOS is granting of permissions for certain directories (so and so program wants to access your Desktop/Documents Folder/Removable drive/whatever). I think there's another level of permissioning on top of what we're used to.

Maybe try creating a special directory for Hatari under your home directory ($HOME/hatari) -- which is *definitely* local not iCloud or OneDrive, or considered 'special'?

BW
Thanks, I am aware of the changes that came with Catalina and the permissions granting, so I will probably try this later. I have a PowerBook G4 with Leopard that runs just fine so I do think it's a permissions thing.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Atari74user wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:43 pm I have to say, I am not quite sure why you are having such issues, but it must be something unique-ish to your set up. I am still using Catalina on a 2015 MacBook Pro, as I am still waiting for a number of "music" manufactures to give the absolute all clear for Big Sur compatibility for their hardware and software. I do not use Hatari religiously, but I do run it on the odd occasion. I use the latest version of Hatari, and with no issues whatsoever, other than not everything runs under EmuTOS, so I mostly use TOS 2.06, and 1.04 for older software. I've never seen any "bad file" image error.
It was running a fresh install of Mojave when I got it, but I didn't install anything until I had upgraded to Catalina, so I would be surprised if there was anything unique.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Jon, you can always upgrade to Big Sur, the general consensus is its better than Calalina bugwize. Really don't know though since I'm hiding out with Mojave. :D Thinking about getting a M1 Mini just to play with which would have Big Sur. :D
troed

Post by troed »

You could try using one of the dev builds. After the release of 2.3.1 I've switched the build system over to newer Xcode as well as now signing everything with proper gatekeeper credentials.

https://troed.ddns.net/d/b90229b625/

/Troed

Return to “SOFTWARE”