Basilisk II Atari

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

agranlund

Re: Basilisk II Atari

Post by agranlund »

Steve wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:22 pm @agranlund can this take advantage of NOVA graphics?
Yes, and it will be much faster since it wouldn't need to emulate graphics.
(provided the card is in a Macintosh-native graphics mode. 256 color mode is a safe bet)

There are some screenshots from using graphics cards earlier in this thread:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... &start=130
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

agranlund wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:39 pm Hmmn.. I may have gotten a bit carried away :lol:

ST-Low resolution emulating 256 color 640x480.
Black magic… :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Surprisingly fast even with converting graphics on the fly! :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I've just tried the latest test version on my TT.

The first time I booted it it was perfect. Though I don't think that I heard any sound.

Restarted it and when it starts the emulation (according to the log) I see two bombs and the machine freezes. It now consistently bombs every time even after power cycling, using a different copy of the program, running from the UltraSATAN and specifying a different disk image!

Very strange!
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The previous version of Basilisk (BASILISK6) still works fine.

I'm guessing that there's an uninitialised pointer somewhere which just happened to have a benign value... Though I've just had a thought, I'll set the memory limit and see if that helps.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yep. That was it!

Anyway, here are the new benchmarks...

IMG_2666.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg (404.01 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:26 pm The previous version of Basilisk (BASILISK6) still works fine.

I'm guessing that there's an uninitialised pointer somewhere which just happened to have a benign value... Though I've just had a thought, I'll set the memory limit and see if that helps.
Yes, the latest test i posted did indeed have an uninitialized pointer, and another potential memory overwrite. Along with a bunch of other big and small bugs.
The current local build supports both native and the emulated fallback (regardless of gfx hardware) and testing all combinations revealed a bunch of these issue :)
It would also, in certain cases, detect your current graphics format wrong if using nvdi.

I’ll post something more closely resembling a release candidate after 040+ support is done too.
shoggoth77

Post by shoggoth77 »

… aaaaand theeeen… ?

:-)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

shoggoth77 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:40 am … aaaaand theeeen… ?

:-)
... aaaaand then came this one:
http://www.happydaze.se/wp-content/uplo ... 220504.zip

I've been super busy with non-Atari things lately, but this one should fix some under the hood issues, and maybe (probably) adds some new ones :lol:

It will do native rendering if it can, or fall back to emulation if there is a supported path for it.
And with a bit of luck it may work on 040+ machines too. I'll find out during the weekend if or how it runs on a CT60.
It does work in Hatari's 060 mode but that's no guarantee :)

If there are issues it would be quite interesting to hear if it helps disabling the acceleration options (under the new video menu)
"CMP acceleration" is producing some graphics artifacts. I'm trying to figure out a good way to get rid of those while still maintaining a decent speed improvement.

Return to “SOFTWARE”