WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Our top picks of ST games!
stween

Re: WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Post by stween »

So I downloaded this last night, built out the talkie version of MI1 on my STE, and I LOVE it. This is amazing work.

The next thing I need to do is make a working MT32-pi to get that sweet midi output. And THEN I want to figure out how to pipe MT32-pi audio AND the speech from the ST out through the same channels. Aiming for the best ST Monkey Island experience!
jeloneal

Post by jeloneal »

Regarding MT-32 and digital sound: you could use a mixer or just add a cheap usb soundcard to the pi. This lets you combine both inputs to one output. The quality of those cards is not the best but it works.
Marsupilami

Post by Marsupilami »

stween wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:31 pm The next thing I need to do is make a working MT32-pi to get that sweet midi output. And THEN I want to figure out how to pipe MT32-pi audio AND the speech from the ST out through the same channels. Aiming for the best ST Monkey Island experience!
Maybe look at this : https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/produc ... -preorder/
https://www.atarinside.com : Atari 800XL in Europe France/Italy/Benelux/Deutschland/UK White&Silver plastic boxes : Dumps, Videos, Books, reference list / + / as usual high resolution pictures of the Atari 800 XL motherboards.
stween

Post by stween »

Marsupilami wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:06 pm
stween wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:31 pm The next thing I need to do is make a working MT32-pi to get that sweet midi output. And THEN I want to figure out how to pipe MT32-pi audio AND the speech from the ST out through the same channels. Aiming for the best ST Monkey Island experience!
Maybe look at this : https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/produc ... -preorder/
I've tried a reasonable MIDI-to-USB cable which works under a full Linux install but which the mt32-pi build doesn't appear to detect. So I'm able to get something out, but I'd like a small MIDI emulator based on a pi for sure.

In any case, I realised I could route multiple audio inputs to my desktop PC and record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLJFzN6qx5k

This runs great! Sometimes the MIDI timing feels a little out, but that's probably the MIDI emulators fault. In terms of my own hardware: I can see some ghosting on the video output, and I hear the whistling on the audio. I'll decide over time whether I want to go in and try to fix those issues!
jonmchugh

Post by jonmchugh »

WOW, I'm astonished after all all these years we finally have these titles on our beloved Ataris as they always should have been.
The works that gone into this must be huge and I'm very grateful to agranlund for putting in the time and effort.
A big Thank You from me.

Does anyone know how to turn off the captions/subtitles with these games as I'm using the .sou files from the CDROMs so have speech (yes on an atari st, wow) but the subtitles are distracting because I can't stop reading them will listening to the speech, I annoy myself :lol:
jonmchugh

Post by jonmchugh »

How much work would be involved in getting Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken working using Scumm-ST?
I know we already have official ports of these games put it would be nice to have the MIDI Music from the DOS versions that Scumm-ST supports.

EDIT: Never mind, Just discovered these games do not have MIDI music, However Zak and Indy3 do have 44/16 Stereo PCM background music/ambiance on the FM towns versions, I imagine it would not be difficult to down sample these to 12khz and playback on the DMA chip. That would be nice :D
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

jonmchugh wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:55 pm WOW, I'm astonished after all all these years we finally have these titles on our beloved Ataris as they always should have been.
The works that gone into this must be huge and I'm very grateful to agranlund for putting in the time and effort.
A big Thank You from me.

Does anyone know how to turn off the captions/subtitles with these games as I'm using the .sou files from the CDROMs so have speech (yes on an atari st, wow) but the subtitles are distracting because I can't stop reading them will listening to the speech, I annoy myself :lol:
I’m happy you like it! There was a good amount of work getting these running on limited cpu and memory but in a way that was what made it such a fun project.
The captions are permanently on at the moment but I do have on the todo list to make a proper options screen and I’ll add that subtitles on/off toggle :)
How much work would be involved in getting Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken working using Scumm-ST?
Quite a bit actually. I haven’t looked too much into it since these games already exist on the ST but they use slightly different formats and an earlier scumm parser so these would have to be given the same treatment.
I’ve been meaning to give Sierra SCI1 a go when I find myself with enough free time, I’d love to be able to play those games on my ST :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I've just tried "Day of the Tentacle" on my TF536 accelerated STFM and... no music, which suggests that it's the copy of the game which has issues rather than the conversion MIDI audio system.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

The latest version now has a proper options screen accessible from the F5 main menu and gets rid of that temporary one at startup.
In there you'll find the options for sound device, music device, music volume and captions on/off :)

Changes:
- faster gui rendering
- added options screen
- added ability to quit back to desktop

(and the keyboard issue when running from FreeMint was fixed in previous version)

http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/

Cheers,
--Anders
jeloneal

Post by jeloneal »

Thanks for your continued efforts in this wonderful project!

Return to “GAME ZONE”