Filament for the first print and 3d printer calibration

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
Kieran Stephenson

Filament for the first print and 3d printer calibration

Post by Kieran Stephenson »

Hello everyone,

I've got my MAKERBOT Replicator+ 3 delivered yesterday and unpacked it, gonna try to make my first print and see how it goes.

VOrIlug.png
VOrIlug.png (68.09 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

Not sure which filament to choose for this model - PLA (3DJAKE ecoPLA) or ABS (Zortrax Z-ABS). Any advice? I'm a newbie in 3d printing and I don't expect it to work at all at first.
Learning all my life
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Filament for the first print and 3d printer calibration

Post by exxos »

PLA is supposed to be easier for getting started with.

I started with ABS because I enjoy pain :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Hmmm, for overall strength pf the part I'd probably go with ABS, but if you don't care and just want to print it to try it out, then I'd go wit PLA.

However, if you're calibrating and doing a first print, I'd probably aim for a simpler object. My printer came with a calibration object to use.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Kieran Stephenson

Post by Kieran Stephenson »

Thanks for replies guys, i'll try it :)
Learning all my life
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

3D printed gears are best done in Nylon.
ABS and PLA aren't suitable materials unless the gears are slow moving and then I would use PLA as ABS would wear out pretty fast, it's too pliable.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:27 am 3D printed gears are best done in Nylon.
ABS and PLA aren't suitable materials unless the gears are slow moving and then I would use PLA as ABS would wear out pretty fast, it's too pliable.
Hmm interesting, I'd not considered nylon, but it makes a lot of sense.

I'm surprised ABS would be too pliable, all my encounters with ABS components (Though not necessarily 3d printed, usually injection moulded) have indicated a robust, hard plastic that is quite wear resistant.

Is it the 3d printing process the makes ABS too pliable? I'd be keen to learn more, as that's just not my experience of ABS.

Thanks.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:33 pm Is it the 3d printing process the makes ABS too pliable? I'd be keen to learn more, as that's just not my experience of ABS.
ABS you can bend much easier than PLA and yes it's very robust, but if you have tried to sand it, you will notice it sands very easily, whereas PLA wont.
This makes it ok for low friction movements, but ABS will wear out quite quickly even in low friction.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 3d printer. I know three people I used to work with all have the Makergear M2e and swear by it so I am following their lead. Haven't received it yet but need to get all the tools. Any suggestions? The recommended tool Simply3D looks a little pricy but has pretty good reviews. Most of the people I know who have the printers are mechanical engineers and use solid works which is a lot more than I want to deal with not to mention its price.
MG-M2.png
MG-M2.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5313 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Kieran Stephenson wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 pm Hello everyone,

I've got my MAKERBOT Replicator+ 3 delivered yesterday and unpacked it, gonna try to make my first print and see how it goes.
Not sure which filament to choose for this model - PLA (3DJAKE ecoPLA) or ABS (Zortrax Z-ABS). Any advice? I'm a newbie in 3d printing and I don't expect it to work at all at first.
So Kleran, you haven't posted in a while... how are your efforts proceeding?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@PaulJ I use Fusion360 educational license for the 3d modelling and then Cura for the slicing.

Start with some easy to print object using PLA+ is the best advice I can give and prepare for lots of failures at first.

Then once you're all dirted with that then get an auto bed levelled but make sure to manually level the bed by hand every so often.

I've upgraded my printer with better bed springs and better motor drivers and the quality improved no end but with every upgrade it means almost starting from scratch to achieve the quality you require again.

Good luck
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “3D MODELS”