New External Floppy Enclosure

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
DominoTree

Re: New External Floppy Enclosure

Post by DominoTree »

Made a couple revisions to fix bugs, and one other change - the main board now has a few more floppy pins broken out to the smaller ribbon cable - the idea is that I can make adapters for multiple systems which used external floppies (primarily Amiga) without having to make changes to the "base" unit. Should have new boards in hand in about a week for further testing.

If everything looks good I'll put a case around the thing and call this basic version "done" and figure out how to make them available
DominoTree

Post by DominoTree »

Switched to some new pins that should fit more securely in the floppy port - $0.66/ea if you buy them individually but these were the cheapest ones that had good dimensions :o
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-12-31 5233-0-00-15-00-00-08-0 Mill-Max Manufacturing Corp Connectors, Interconnects DigiKey.png
Screenshot_2020-12-31 5233-0-00-15-00-00-08-0 Mill-Max Manufacturing Corp Connectors, Interconnects DigiKey.png (294.62 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
beel1

Post by beel1 »

Very nice!
If I thought about this before buying Goteks for my STs I would have made a Ultrasatan-mini-style FlashFloppy, with a STM32 and an Oled display :D
DominoTree

Post by DominoTree »

It's alive! Tested with a 12V OEM Atari drive, 5V "modern" Alps drive, and an HxC floppy emulator. Still need to put a bit more polish on it but we're almost there!
old.jpg
old.jpg (292.11 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
4032-3024-max.jpg
4032-3024-max.jpg (512.26 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DominoTree

Post by DominoTree »

I *finally* got the one model number of pin sold between DigiKey and Mouser that fits well and is long enough to go through the PCB to make it easy to assemble and sturdy. It all fits like a glove.

Been using this prototype very heavily for a couple of weeks across multiple drives, new and old, and it's been rock-solid.

Should have the final PCB revisions here in about a week, and if they work I'll put a 3d-printed case around them and put the plans up and make them available for sale. I've had quite a bit of interest on the Facebook groups, but I'm not sure if anyone here would be interested. Final cost, fully tested and assembled, with 3d-printed case and 12V power supply should be around $25-$30USD, plus shipping.

Hopefully we can bring some 520STs back into the fold with these - and make life easier for anyone else who wants an external floppy :D
adapter1.jpg
adapter1.jpg (204.03 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
adapter2.jpg
adapter2.jpg (165.94 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
adapter3.jpg
adapter3.jpg (297.58 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Nice! :thumbup:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I'd be interested in one.
davemacblack

Post by davemacblack »

It looks really good.
DominoTree wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 pm I *finally* got the one model number of pin sold between DigiKey and Mouser that fits well and is long enough to go through the PCB to make it easy to assemble and sturdy. It all fits like a glove.
@DominoTree Can you please tell the pin model number? I've been trying different for a while, but I still can't find the right one.
Thanx
tzok

Post by tzok »

DominoTree wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:03 am Switched to some new pins that should fit more securely in the floppy port - $0.66/ea if you buy them individually but these were the cheapest ones that had good dimensions :o
I was using pins from DEGSON DG333J-3,5 connectors. They were way less expensive.
https://www.conrad.com/p/ptr-pin-strip- ... pcs-732191

Return to “3D MODELS”