CATWEASEL MK4 PLUS

Post your for sale or wanted retro related wares in this section.
Tomswork

CATWEASEL MK4 PLUS

Post by Tomswork »

Has anyone seen this card around CATWEASEL MK4 PLUS. I would like to know if its worth the hunt I would have to run a pcie x1 adapter to pci to get 5.25 floppy support

Tom
McTrinsic

Re: CATWEASEL MK4 PLUS

Post by McTrinsic »

Sorry for the later reply just stumbled upon this...

Yes this works, I had it running like this with a PCIe-PCI adaptor.

Please be aware that there are no signed 64Bit drivers available.
So you would need to have Windows 7 32bit as OS.
In a VM this doesn’t work.
At least the Workstation solutions such as VMWare Workstation or Virtualbox dont have the required PCIe passthrough.

You might be better off with a Kryoflux or a supercharged pro.
Or replace the Diskdrive with a HxC or Gotek (or complement your system with them.)

Have fun,
McT
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Tomswork wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:16 am Has anyone seen this card around CATWEASEL MK4 PLUS. I would like to know if its worth the hunt I would have to run a pcie x1 adapter to pci to get 5.25 floppy support

Tom
Would a Greaseweasel fit the bill? They really are quite inexpensive, especially in kit form.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
McTrinsic

Post by McTrinsic »

Can‘t say.
I have personal experience with Kryoflux, Catweasle and HxC.
The Greaselweasel is gathering a growing userbase as a hobbyist / community project.

I am under the impression that Kryoflux and SCP SuperCard PrA are a bit more professional as they are distributed respectively.
Especially the SCP has some nice options to do raw dumps that you can use for personal archiving.

To be fair: if you can assemble a kit from the greasleweasle then it could be your first option as it offers the cheapest entry.

One detail: only the Catweasle offered the option to access Floppies live from within an emulated Amiga, e.g. WInUAE. All others need to work with the step of creating images. Beware, though: the catweasle needed to mount images in a way similar to harddrives. You can not boot off them and e.g. play games.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

@rubber_jonnie

I will look at that i got a old pc working with a fdc on it and windows 7. The newer pc is far less happy with floppy drives especially 5.25 ss dd

Tom

Return to “GENERAL FOR SALE & WANTED”