Forgottenmyname - Progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
PaulJ

Re: Forgottenmyname - Progress

Post by PaulJ »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm So, the good news is that the chips on the board tested out ok, so it looks like I've got a loose connection or dry joint, so time to be spent tomorrow with a multimeter and the schematic, joy. :roll:

I'm happier now that I know it's something daft thats keeping the STF from working, its just a case of finding which bit.

Good news is that I have more working spare parts than I thought but did find some oddities. IMP shifter works ok in my Mega but not in the STF and the -38 DMA I have surprisingly doesn't work with anything.

Think I'll order some new sockets for the ROM and maybe GLUE as they've been in and out so many times.

Also, looks like the blitter I tried in the STF doesn't want to play in one of my Mega's and didn't want to risk breaking the other Mega's bitter to find out.

Hopefully Icky's order of a blister from Aliexpress will work out, so I can get one too :D

Fingers crossed for tomorrows fault finding session.
So how did your session go? Are you back on the air or is it still giving you issues? I really hate it when you have something running and it quits for no apparent reason. Many years ago at work I wrote this code to get some data from an NTDS interface. Half day.. easy session. Anyway I lost the code with a disk failure. When I went to re-create it it took days.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Not yet as I haven't had any time. I think it's probably the pull-ups that I added, as I added them as singular resistors not SIL's. Need to find some SIL's though.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Sods law, got loads of 4.7k sils but no 1k. Does anyone know if 4.7k will act ok as the pull ups on the STF mods?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:57 pm Sods law, got loads of 4.7k sils but no 1k. Does anyone know if 4.7k will act ok as the pull ups on the STF mods?
4.7K is fine.... I don't get why you thinking changing to a SIL is going to be any different that single resistors though ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Just wondering if something is touching where it shouldnt underneath.

made some progress, now getting black border and grey screen but no boot yet
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:49 pm Not yet as I haven't had any time. I think it's probably the pull-ups that I added, as I added them as singular resistors not SIL's. Need to find some SIL's though.
When I started late and you and Icky were racing forward I was able to plan the patches some what. I was able to put 2 sips in the spot for 1 by putting the power common pins in the power hole and bending the second from the end main sips lead up and using that pin from the second sip. Bent up the remainder of the pins and wire wrapped then to the spots that needed the pull-ups. Still ended up with stuff on the bottom but ya can't win them all. Good luck with getting it running again.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks Paul,

So, just learning some of the GLUE logic.

The CPU isn't Halted, all the clocks are good but I've got /OE high on the ROM, so no ROM reading yet.

On the GLUE RDY is low, so I presume some of the prerequisites required by the GLUE haven't yet been made, does anyone have any details as to whats required for the GLUE to be high on RDY? (Presuming i'm not barking up the wrong tree)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:04 pm Thanks Paul,

So, just learning some of the GLUE logic.

The CPU isn't Halted, all the clocks are good but I've got /OE high on the ROM, so no ROM reading yet.

On the GLUE RDY is low, so I presume some of the prerequisites required by the GLUE haven't yet been made, does anyone have any details as to whats required for the GLUE to be high on RDY? (Presuming i'm not barking up the wrong tree)
You will get it, I have faith. Is the drag cart you mensioned any help?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Not so far Paul, although I am getting closer.

I've now got the ROM being accessed, although only for about a second and then nothing else, so i'm presuming something is unable to read the ROM and then stopping,
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

So I'm finally admitting to myself that I don't yet know enough about microelectronic signals to do anything other than guess what's going on, though I have learnt a lot doing this which is cool.

Will put the STF on the shelf for a bit whilst I do some more reading and then check things with a working computer, hence getting another STFM to play with.

Then hopefully I'll get back to the STF in time for the expansion port fun.

Still going to do the add-on boards etc as exxos and the guys create them, so I'm all ready to go and am now looking forward to the Mongrel board, whenever it rears its ugly head :D.

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”