Troed - progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
sandord

Re: Troed - progress

Post by sandord »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:24 pm Icky, did you use unleaded solder. Troed what did you use for solder. I know my attempts with unleaded solder years ago were disappointing and never made another effort to use it.
As a side note, I've been using lead free solder for a while now and I'm perfectly happy with it. Sure, classic solder flows a little better but I got used quickly to the characteristics of lead free solder. Just use about 40C higher temperature.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I'm an old dog and I find that solder with lead works much better for me. My experiences with no lead were inadequate . Joints would look fine while they had a high resistance across the joint. Also I found the no lead oxidized quickly. For me when I work a project I want to stack the odds in my favor, over the past 35, 40 years I have found a lot of ways to screw up a projects. This board as an example in which I used sockets for everything, I built everything prior to actually populating the chips. Where I live forced hot air heat is common which contributes to humidity levels that are quite low exposing ones efforts to ESD. Plus I use a wrist strap and ESD mat. I do this to minimize possible damage to what I'm working on and hence the use of lead solder. Ya know ya can't teach old dogs new tricks!
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I wouldn't use no lead if it worked comperably with leaded solder if I had to raise the Iron temperature 40 degrees c. That would make unsoldering more difficult and expose the board additional damage. Like I said above ya can't teach an old dog new tricks.. :) :) :)
troed

Post by troed »

Apparently I'm using 60/40 - which was a surprise to me.

I've redone all PLCC joints but with the same result (which wasn't a surprise though* ;)). Next up I'll verify all the patches are done in the correct place, after that I'll test the ICs in other motherboards and then finally it's time to use the LA and scope.

*) I have one of those JBC stations which gets up to temp in 2 seconds and never misses a beat.
sandord

Post by sandord »

troed wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm I have one of those JBC stations which gets up to temp in 2 seconds and never misses a beat.
Man, those things a bloody expensive! Wouldn't mind owning one ;-)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

troed wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm Apparently I'm using 60/40 - which was a surprise to me.

I've redone all PLCC joints but with the same result (which wasn't a surprise though* ;)). Next up I'll verify all the patches are done in the correct place, after that I'll test the ICs in other motherboards and then finally it's time to use the LA and scope.

*) I have one of those JBC stations which gets up to temp in 2 seconds and never misses a beat.
Troed have you checked what state the processor is in.. is it halted.. held in reset etc. Used dragROM, or the atari drag cart to see if rs232 communications is possible? Checked all the clocks? just looking for some indication of non functional electronics.. What is it drawing for current. With no floppy and just a functioning main board it drew approx. 1.05 amps.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

sandord wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 pm
troed wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm I have one of those JBC stations which gets up to temp in 2 seconds and never misses a beat.
Man, those things a bloody expensive! Wouldn't mind owning one ;-)
But does it have a password option ;)
sandord

Post by sandord »

Icky wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:22 pm But does it have a password option ;)
I totally forgot :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

sandord wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:28 pm
Icky wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:22 pm But does it have a password option ;)
I totally forgot :lol:
That would be me but I'd have forgotten the password.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
sandord

Post by sandord »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 pm That would be me but I'd have forgotten the password.
We'd better not use that feature then and better keep forgetting all about it so there's no risk of forgetting a password if there's none to begin with :lol:

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”