Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
PaulJ

Re: R_J Progress

Post by PaulJ »

Give it hell Rubber_jonnie.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

R_J, how are things going with the board? Guessing your getting close to applying power!!. Enquiring minds are querious. :?:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:56 pm R_J, how are things going with the board? Guessing your getting close to applying power!!. Enquiring minds are querious. :?:
Unfortunately my Christmas plans to get things going have crashed and burned! Thankfully not literally burned (No magic smoke thankfully), just figuratively.

We were supposed to have a tradesman round to tile our downstrairs bathroom, kitchen and the little hall that joins the two. He just didn't turn up, no phone call or message, nothing, just didn't arrive.

Since it was the 2nd person to let us down (The first at least told us he wasn't going to be able to do it), we decided I'd just do it myself. It's coming along nicely, and I hope to have it done by Saturday, but it just hasn't left me time to get the STF remake patched. I also got a bit distracted with a broken ST, which I have managed to resurrect and is now rocking 4MB ram in a SIMM upgrade, Just needs TOS 1.04 burning onto ROM and it's rocking. Oh, and a decent PSU....

Might get some time on it Sunday/Monday though, and it is tantalisingly close to power up!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:09 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:56 pm R_J, how are things going with the board? Guessing your getting close to applying power!!. Enquiring minds are querious. :?:
Unfortunately my Christmas plans to get things going have crashed and burned! Thankfully not literally burned (No magic smoke thankfully), just figuratively.

We were supposed to have a tradesman round to tile our downstrairs bathroom, kitchen and the little hall that joins the two. He just didn't turn up, no phone call or message, nothing, just didn't arrive.

Since it was the 2nd person to let us down (The first at least told us he wasn't going to be able to do it), we decided I'd just do it myself. It's coming along nicely, and I hope to have it done by Saturday, but it just hasn't left me time to get the STF remake patched. I also got a bit distracted with a broken ST, which I have managed to resurrect and is now rocking 4MB ram in a SIMM upgrade, Just needs TOS 1.04 burning onto ROM and it's rocking. Oh, and a decent PSU....

Might get some time on it Sunday/Monday though, and it is tantalisingly close to power up!
RubberJ, its also a lot harder to let the magic smoke out of tile!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I know, but I've been trying to get that magic smoke from tiles with my angle grinder :D
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

RJ, now that you've master magic tile smoke how ya doing with the ExxosAtari board? If your fearful I believe there is protection available on eBay. Magic smoke is similar to flux smoke... one shouldn't breath it...
RJ.jpg
RJ.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

It's not been powered on yet, I have a pile of patches to do before that, BUT it was back on my workbench the other day, so things are getting closer to happening!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:14 am It's not been powered on yet, I have a pile of patches to do before that, BUT it was back on my workbench the other day, so things are getting closer to happening!
Would be interested to see how you tackle / approach the patches now with hindsight. We were blazing along hacking away at those patches without much thought of asthetics and neatness. :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:26 am
Would be interested to see how you tackle / approach the patches now with hindsight. We were blazing along hacking away at those patches without much thought of asthetics and neatness. :)
Yeah,part of what I want to do is make the patches as neat as I can based on the stuff everybody else has done. Just struggling to get a sufficient piece of time to get some good progress. ATM my Atari time is a little bit here and there, it's pretty frustrating.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Good news folks,it's back on my workbench :)
IMG_20190324_232531.jpg
IMG_20190324_232531.jpg (423.48 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Some minor works to start with:

1. Made and fitted an unf*ck board for the KB connector.
2. Made an adapter for the larger crystal to fit in the smaller socket.
3. Made sure all the jumper pads that needed jumping were jumped!

I'll then start moving on the simpler fixes and upgrade the the more complex as time goes by.

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”