Which a500 card

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Which a500 card

Post by alenppc »

I can't see any difference in IDE speeds between the 530 & 534 with CPU FASTROM, tbh.

Which RAM chips are you using, out of curiosity? Not that I am planning to build any more of these.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 pm The only sad part about this card is slow ide interface, hence ive asked Stephen to release firmware without INT2 solution to achieve TF530 IDE speed at least..but that's the different story...
The code is on GitHub. There is a project with the IDE solution for the TF534 and a project for the TF530 in the same repo. It should be easy for anyone with basic Verilog knowledge to knock up what you're after.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

alenppc wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:36 pm I can't see any difference in IDE speeds between the 530 & 534 with CPU FASTROM, tbh.

Which RAM chips are you using, out of curiosity? Not that I am planning to build any more of these.
Alen, seems You have missed my message and also information provided in MMULibs manual regarding CPU FASTROM!

This feature doesn't work correctly with all 030 CPUs, that's why Thomas removed it from 3.1.4 Kickstart. We should use muFASTROM instead..

Regarding TF534 RAM:
using CYPRESS CY62158ELL-45ZSX, these cost more than Alliance RAM, but i prefer them cause these are 45ns
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Ok, that's probably the reason you haven't had issues at 50 mhz, but with Alliance 55ns it's mostly not going to work.

I know there are a couple of bugs in FASTROM but I haven't had any issues personally. I installed MMU tools on my test 330 CF card, but I didn't ship it preinstalled since it seems to like rebooting a lot and I think that would annoy most people.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I havent seen MMULib reboot... It updates SetPatch and keeps on rolling.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 pm I havent seen MMULib reboot... It updates SetPatch and keeps on rolling.
Mufastrom does a reboot while CPU fastrom doesn’t, there was also another component that caused a reboot, don’t remember which.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

mufastrom doesnt do that for me on the 060 on the cd32. I will check the 030 when i get a chance.
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Nope, have also no reboots here..
Just installed MMULibs, that's all - muFASTROM is a part of the installation, it starts automatically on system boot.. :?
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

xraynorm wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:25 pm ..was planning to have a short run of approx 20cm from the IDE header to the CF slot in the back of the case. Which TF accelerators would be recommended in this set up? I understand from the forums that TF534 and TF520 are obsolete, so should I go with an TF530? Will the IDE cable run be problematic?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards
Indeed You are right, only TF530 allows 20cm long ide ribbon, while 534 will be mostly likely unstable cause IDE acts differently for some reason. (got also some issues with CF Card adapters also)

Really sorry, i can't recommend You to build TF530 with my right hand on heart. Two years ago we had no open source accelerators, and this was a nice low-end card, while now You'll be disappointed with 2MB only, so TF534 is better choice (if You choose 3.1.4 - You can use large hd drives, just copy all your stuff on it and leave it inside)
Unfortunately adding 3x 74HCT245D chips will make TF53x too complex, if i got it correctly, so buffered IDE will not present on TF53x..

Ah!
Of course You can use SD to IDE Adapter and use SD extension!
Will post a picture of it later..
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Hmm you are right... I dug up a bit more, and you are right, the mufastrom doesn't reboot, but I still get 2 reboots with the mutools enabled. I have to figure out what's causing it.

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”