Getting WFI Working on TF3xx with ESP Module

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Getting WFI Working on TF3xx with ESP Module

Post by terriblefire »

I've a fair bit of experience writing Linux drivers (and RISCOS too actually) but i find Amiga device drivers to be rather horrible to write and there is a huge amount of repetition in every driver.... but anyhoo..

What I would like to do is write a driver that sits on top of any serial port that can talk to and from an ESP 8266 *protocol* wifi module.... i dont really care if its the same actual hardware i want to abstract away the physical layer so we can connect to the wifi, send recv and do the IP address, mac address functions.

Probably the easiest way to do the top layer is to write this in WinUAE with it connected to a real wifi module.

However I would really like some collaboration on this one. Hardware is not something i find easy to collaborate on but software is.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
kludge

Re: Drivers for ESP modules

Post by kludge »

I would help if I could. Count on me cheering, anyway. Easy WiFi would be amazing.

Would there be room for an ESP header on a hypothetical new revision of the TF536 as well?
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

kludge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 am I would help if I could. Count on me cheering, anyway. Easy WiFi would be amazing.

Would there be room for an ESP header on a hypothetical new revision of the TF536 as well?
We are low on spare pins on that board... but in theory yes.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Anyways lets make a start...

https://github.com/terriblefire/esp.device

I will make the device driver based around Mike Stirlings's K1208 driver because thats the cleanest driver i can find...

We'll start by writing a test file to open uaeserial.device and talk to a ESP module connected to the serial port in WinUAE...

We'll write an actual serial port driver for the TFs later.
———
kludge

Post by kludge »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:17 am Anyways lets make a start...

I will make the device driver based around Mike Stirlings's K1208 driver because thats the cleanest driver i can find...

We'll start by writing a test file to open uaeserial.device and talk to a ESP module connected to the serial port in WinUAE...

Would your driver be able to work with an ESP connected to the standard Amiga serial port as well? (Of course with proper level shifting applied.)
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

kludge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am
terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:17 am Anyways lets make a start...

Would your driver be able to work with an ESP connected to the standard Amiga serial port as well? (Of course with proper level shifting applied.)
The amiga would need a 11500 baud capable serial port.
———
kludge

Post by kludge »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:36 am
kludge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am

So, not without an accelerator then :)

My lack of focus:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

kludge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:47 am
terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:36 am

So, not without an accelerator then :)
Or some kind of baud rate buffer. A big FIFO would do the job. but its probably not worth it.

The idea is that this can be used by any Amiga with a fast serial port.. clockport etc. its a protocol adaptor rather that a physical layer adaptor.
———
Zac

Post by Zac »

Hi,

what protocol would the device work with? AmiTCP? AS225? And a second question: why couldn't I compile the driver to run with 38.400 baud or less?

I have prepared a small PCB to bring the ESP8266 to the Amiga. It doesn't do anything fancy, just some level conversion (Max 3232) and a voltage regulator. If anyone's interested, I could provide the KiCAD files. I want to use it with PPP.

Michael
Platine.pdf
(33.75 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Zac wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:15 pm Hi,

what protocol would the device work with? AmiTCP? AS225? And a second question: why couldn't I compile the driver to run with 38.400 baud or less?

Driver would be SANA-II. Standard Amiga driver. You could use any TCP Stack.

The Native ESP protocol is 115200. Thats why it needed that speed.
I have prepared a small PCB to bring the ESP8266 to the Amiga. It doesn't do anything fancy, just some level conversion (Max 3232) and a voltage regulator. If anyone's interested, I could provide the KiCAD files. I want to use it with PPP.
The TF330 does the level shift from Paula Serial on the CD32. Pretty much does what your board does.
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”