TF1260 appears on my doormat

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF1260 appears on my doormat

Post by alenppc »

All of my boards are 1D4, but on one of them no boot. I am going to investigate once I get some time.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

supaduper - what A1200 rev are you using?

I think it has been reported that 2B runs fine (TerribleFires' board?), and Chucky is using one of his boards (not sure what 'Rev' it is based on?).

It would be useful (but maybe too early) to get this info collated somewhere and if some timing fixes have been applied. I can do 2B stock and walk my other 2B through the timing fixes one step at a time if this is helpful to test stability.

And what PSU's have been tested? I have lightweight (2.5A on 5V), heavy weight (4A) and light weight high power 3A (switch mode reg in PSU?) + a Meanwell modern switch mode. I have recapped most of my PSU's and replaced those resistors which look like they get too hot with higher wattage versions.

I guess a table of board rev & PSU combinations would give a nice clear guide to compatibility. Tests with Rev's of 060 might be overkill (quite a few combinations to then test, especially if speed is also taken into account!)? I have only a Rev 6. But I would be up for the testing challenge. 2hr-3 stress test with Quake or high-end demo would be possible during a week day evening. So full results would take some weeks.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Higgy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:34 am supaduper - what A1200 rev are you using?

I think it has been reported that 2B runs fine (TerribleFires' board?), and Chucky is using one of his boards (not sure what 'Rev' it is based on?).

It would be useful (but maybe too early) to get this info collated somewhere and if some timing fixes have been applied. I can do 2B stock and walk my other 2B through the timing fixes one step at a time if this is helpful to test stability.

And what PSU's have been tested? I have lightweight (2.5A on 5V), heavy weight (4A) and light weight high power 3A (switch mode reg in PSU?) + a Meanwell modern switch mode. I have recapped most of my PSU's and replaced those resistors which look like they get too hot with higher wattage versions.

I guess a table of board rev & PSU combinations would give a nice clear guide to compatibility. Tests with Rev's of 060 might be overkill (quite a few combinations to then test, especially if speed is also taken into account!)? I have only a Rev 6. But I would be up for the testing challenge. 2hr-3 stress test with Quake or high-end demo would be possible during a week day evening. So full results would take some weeks.
My TF1260 runs rock solid on the 2B and 1D4,
The 1D4, I have is an Amiga Technologies one and I think I am right in saying that they basic timing fix of having the E123C and E125C capacitors removed because they are not on mine but people will need to check themselves

I only have the original light weight A1200 PSU and it works fine with it which is good news

I have stress tested my A1200 with Quake on loop for 2 solid days and it was still running :)
And now it has been on soak test for 6 days with no problems.

If people start to use the CPUSPEED tool that Steve has coded to overclock their 68060s then they will have to think about cooling as it will run hot which is normal
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I would hate for a list to be collated too early. This leads people to say it won’t work in X Y Z circumstances when thats not true. It’s just I haven’t focussed on anything else yet.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

I tried comparing the working and non-working mobos.

The non-working one had E125R, E125C, E123R and E123C fitted while the other one did not. So I tried removing them, but nothing changed.

On the plus side, I am now trying a rev6 CPU and it works stable at 80 mhz! Not bad. Instant freeze at 100 mhz but who cares.

EDIT: There were a million caps to solder but holy shit this thing is stable!
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:58 pm I would hate for a list to be collated too early. This leads people to say it won’t work in X Y Z circumstances when thats not true. It’s just I haven’t focussed on anything else yet.
Sure, the board has to walk before it can run.

I'm just seeing if there is anyway I can help. Offering time is one way. I am good at methodical testing and there might be potentially useful tests which don't seem a good use of your time to perform.

Question - I can't remember, but the 060 has an internal temp sensor? is it wired up and can a reading be taken?(Maybe this was from the Warp 1260 guys). I suppose a bigger concern might be heat sink into the A1200 case. I know the underside of my desk gets warm with just a 030! I know the Voodoo you applied on the TF330 helps with that 030 :D
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

A small comparison between the the 1260 running at 80 mhz (left column) and the 360 running at 66 mhz (right column).
1260-1.jpg
1260-1.jpg (227.08 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
1260-2.jpg
1260-2.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
1260-3.jpg
1260-3.jpg (82.28 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:05 pm Question - I can't remember, but the 060 has an internal temp sensor? is it wired up and can a reading be taken?(Maybe this was from the Warp 1260 guys). I suppose a bigger concern might be heat sink into the A1200 case. I know the underside of my desk gets warm with just a 030! I know the Voodoo you applied on the TF330 helps with that 030 :D
The temp sensor isnt wired up.

I've been testing with stock lightweight PSU
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

so i was looking at cooling this beast and a throw away comment someone made on Steve`s last Stream got me thinking, he mentioned a conductive sponge or brass ball, so i thought to myself as I had non of these `Brillo Pad` PMSL so I got new one from pack , the one in the photo it`s not dirty its the dried in soap they infuse into it :)

Anyways I squashed between the CPU and the Keyboard metal case and it seems to work, obviously its conductive properties will not be as good as Brass or Alu, but hey as proof of concept its seems like it might work, and before anyone asks I put some tape around it and mad sure that there is no chance of it shorting anything out :)

When I upclocked this CPU last time to 80mhz it lasted about 3/4 of an hour before it crashed , I will leave it on loop on Quake and see if really works lol

the beast below !
Attachments
TF1260 cooling.jpg
TF1260 cooling.jpg (116.5 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

That was me Mark :lol:

There is that massive metal keyboard plate just waiting to extract heat.
There are some foam type products, but I they look dense foam so unless dimensions are spot on then it will press down on the TF1260. So something that squashy easily or it is stuck CPU-to-keyboard like copper tape/braid.

Warp1260 showed a lovely machined heatsink that fits in the gap between the keyboard, but I hate to think just what that cost! Maybe just a normal heatsink and a good going over with a b*stard file to get the angle right would do the job :lol:

If 75Mhz is the 'sweet spot' that is still very very good. How is the 128MB running? I think there are a couple of 060 scene demos that require more than 64MB. Would be good to try those. I will see if I can find them. Probably made by TBL (Starstruck? http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=25778 )

Some conductive foam links:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 63c3QQ79fV

https://szjrft.en.made-in-china.com/pro ... blies.html

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”