Xilinx pricing gone crazy

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Xilinx pricing gone crazy

Post by terriblefire »

I've tried some of them.. they have duff IOBs. Most of the chip works but ...
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Yeah that's pretty much why I stick to RS/Farnell, but I imagine their prices will rise soon enough.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:12 pm Yeah that's pretty much why I stick to RS/Farnell, but I imagine their prices will rise soon enough.
Unfortunately this is the reality of hardware development. The wholesalers will move the prices to match demand.

I'll move things to Lattice but eventually those will be expensive too.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

+1 for Lattice.

The MACH4xxxV CPLDs are 5v tolerant too. I think the Z are too which are cheaper but they need 1v8 core voltage as well. The CPLD software supports verilog but it is a bit buggy. I need to try out their FPGA.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

cmorley wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:54 am +1 for Lattice.

The MACH4xxxV CPLDs are 5v tolerant too. I think the Z are too which are cheaper but they need 1v8 core voltage as well. The CPLD software supports verilog but it is a bit buggy. I need to try out their FPGA.
TBH i figured if i needed to go down the route of redoing these i'd go with the ICE40s. They're likely to be around longer and have open source toolchains.
———
adam

Post by adam »

Looks like you're more confident in using bus transceivers after making 060 boards!:)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

adam wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:30 pm Looks like you're more confident in using bus transceivers after making 060 boards!:)
Those level shifters exxos found me work lovely.
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Even the smaller CPLD prices have quadrupled which makes me think this is coming down directly from Xilinx.

I will start buying them in China now... fingers crossed.

On the other hand now the value of all the TF cards in the wild has also risen sharply.
richx

Post by richx »

I just noticed that DigiKey in the US has the XC95288XL-10TQG144C CPLD for $22.95 again, so I quickly placed an order for a couple for the TF536. The other versions were still at >$90. I'm all for the cheaper more powerful Lattice FPGA for future boards, still think the XC95288XL is a little high comparatively. Will the TF1260 use any XC95288XLs at this point? Should we stock up while DigiKey has them at $22.95 again?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

richx wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:08 pm I just noticed that DigiKey in the US has the XC95288XL-10TQG144C CPLD for $22.95 again, so I quickly placed an order for a couple for the TF536. The other versions were still at >$90. I'm all for the cheaper more powerful Lattice FPGA for future boards, still think the XC95288XL is a little high comparatively. Will the TF1260 use any XC95288XLs at this point? Should we stock up while DigiKey has them at $22.95 again?
Initial releases of the TF1260 and TF360 are 288s. Unless you wanna wait a year for a Lattice version.

EDIT: RS are out of stock on the loose 288s. I think they're sending me replacements. I can possible do a 60 chip order via my company but i'll need to make a small profit ... like £5 per chip .. for it to happen. Do you guys have all the chips you need or are you struggling?
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”