MC68(xx)030RP(xxx) variants? What to get, and what to avoid?

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

bytestorm

MC68(xx)030RP(xxx) variants? What to get, and what to avoid?

Post by bytestorm »

Hello :)

There seems to be alot of different 68030 cpus around to buy.. Which ones are the ones to get, and are there any types to avoid (other than fakes ;) )?
I have both a couple of a500 and a cd32 that I would like to upgrade (TF530 & TF330 seems like the way to go atm) and havent decided which one to take first..

Also I am leaning a bit to assembling the accels myself and order empty pcbs and parts, as a fun project. (I have equipment for soldering these)

But I have no idea which CPUs to buy..? I just want to play games throu whdload at highest compability.

I have been looking at these, but there are probably more:
MC68030RP33B (no EC?)
MC68EC030RP40C

Any info regarding the choice of CPUs for these 2 cards would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!
Longtime arcade collector/repairer. Finally back into Amigaverse!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: MC68(xx)030RP(xxx) variants? What to get, and what to avoid?

Post by terriblefire »

I just buy these unless i know what i'm buying

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-MC68030 ... SwhvFZCZQ3
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

terriblefire wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 am I just buy these unless i know what i'm buying

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-MC68030 ... SwhvFZCZQ3
Thanks for the info! :) Do we have any known "good" ebay sellers? This particular seller has recently sold me a bunch fake chips (YM2612)

EDIT: Just got a "similar threads" showing just what i was asking for below :D
Ill have a look asap
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =65&t=1826

EDIT#2: Hmm.. wasnt really that much info in that thread.. Seems ALOT of fakes/semi working CPUs floating around tha market :(
Guess I just have to bite the bullet and see what I get :/
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I've done videos on this.

If you buy on ebay you're taking a gamble. Buy from someone in the community and you're paying more but the cost of the random duds is built into that price.

EDIT: Something that a lot of people do not understand (or maybe just not willing to accept?) is that sourcing electronics components is not a simple and repeatable thing. I can tell you i bought X chips from Y supplier on date Z and you'll have a completely different outcome on a different date. You never know what you will get or pay. Its pointless to put the list you suggest together because next week it will be different. Even from RS/Farnell/Mouser... every day is different.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I concur with what is said above. I brought 20 060 CPU's from a supplier a couple years ago, all genuine, I brought another 20 and only two of them were genuine. As I said many times, you have to imagine all these sellers are brokers for a "superstock warehouse" in China. Unless you can find sellers which have their own personal stock which comes from different sources, it really does not matter which seller you buy from.

I said it before, I can get legitimately sourced 030 CPU's, but unfortunately the price ends up being I think about £30 each. Basically translate to if people buy them at £10 each from china sellers, and even if half of them are good, this is still cheaper than sourcing them legitimately.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
matt020

Post by matt020 »

How come China has all the stock?

Were they manufacturing the chips?

Or did China just happen to buy thousands upon thousands of throw out devices that contained Motorola chips?
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

terriblefire wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:15 am I've done videos on this.

If you buy on ebay you're taking a gamble. Buy from someone in the community and you're paying more but the cost of the random duds is built into that price.

EDIT: Something that a lot of people do not understand (or maybe just not willing to accept?) is that sourcing electronics components is not a simple and repeatable thing. I can tell you i bought X chips from Y supplier on date Z and you'll have a completely different outcome on a different date. You never know what you will get or pay. Its pointless to put the list you suggest together because next week it will be different. Even from RS/Farnell/Mouser... every day is different.
of course I fully understand that it can be impossible to have a list for some components that are not active anymore, and even difficult with active parts sometimes. I just wanted to know if there was a known good source for the cpu since thats the only problematic part on these pcbs (other duds are possible ofc but not expensive as this one can be). Maybe someone had a nos stock here or UK / US reliable seller or whatever. Dont really see how that was pointless to ask :(
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Sorry.. its not pointless to ask.. the list is pointless.

Its like groundhog day for myself & @exxos on this topic so we're a bit short with people thesedays.
———
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

terriblefire wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:01 pm Sorry.. its not pointless to ask.. the list is pointless.

Its like groundhog day for myself & @exxos on this topic so we're a bit short with people thesedays.
Ok, sorry, that was not my intent. :(

My original question was just about the different variations of this cpu, and if there was any variants to avoid (say, for compability issues and such)
Then it transformed into this instead :S. I can imagine you probably hear this alot, so lets drop the good/bad fake sellers thing. Thanks for the inputs thou!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

EC = No MMU = No fast IDE.

Everything else there is not really any guarantee of what you are getting. Dont get things actually marked < 33Mhz
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”