TerribleFire FAQ

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

TerribleFire FAQ

Post by terriblefire »

I get REALLY fed up answering these questions over and over..... Maybe its because we've lived in groundhog day for 3 month but...

Q1. Can i use firmware for revision X on board revision Y.

No. Board revisions are incremented when they are no longer firmware compatible. If a minor spacing adjustment, passive change or anything other compatible change will give a B/C/D version etc. E.g. TF536 revsion 2 has the same firmware are TF536 rev 2b. But the rev2 needs a patch for buffered IDE to work.

The whole point of the revision system is to make it easy for you to identify which firmware you need.

Q2. What cap values do i need?

By default every cap near power pins are 100nF, ones further away are 1uF. A missing cap is not the end of the world.

Q3. Can i use Kickstart 1.3 and IDE.

No. Most of my boards are ZIII nowadays and 1.3 does not support Z3. IDE support doesnt exist by default in 1.3

Q4. Do i need a patched ROM for 060s on TFxx60s

No. Just like most accelerators there is 128 byte rom to sort things. It gives you the colour bars you see at start up.

Q5. Published BOM doesnt match schematics.. is there a bug?

Use the BOM. BOM is corrected.

Q6. Can i make an 040 accelerator.

No. For me 020 and 040 are not interesting.

Q7. I dont live in the UK. Can you give me a tracking number?

Royal mail only tracks the UK border. After that you only get updates after delivery. So unless its a high value order I don't offer tracking.

Q8. Where do I buy non-fake CPUs / I got your board where to i get the CPU?

This is your problem. Supply changes daily and it would be a full time job for several people to keep on top of this. If you are scared to take a risk buying a few $9 CPUs then you shouldnt bother building these things yourself. Get someone in the community to build one for you. It will never be cheaper to do it yourself than buy from a builder. (Because you will ultimately have to buy 2-3 of things)

Q9. Is KS 3.1 supported (because i thought about XYZ thing that makes me think it wont work)

Yes. Its the ONLY supported OS actually. If you build a TF you can assume that it will work with KS 3.1 out of the box with IDE and no patched roms or anything like that. Stop inventing issues in your head about why this wont work because I freaking well test every machine to death on 3.1, every CPU variation, every CF card variation i can get my hands on. Thats enough variations to test IMHO.

It works ok! If it didnt i wouldnt have released it

Q10. I downloaded a firmware from Github and it fails to flash to the device.

Did you right click + save as? If so you just tried to flash HTML to your device.

———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”