Misconception about CD based Amiga's

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Misconception about CD based Amiga's

Post by terriblefire »

Many time i have heard people claiming that scsci.device for the CD32 is what controls the CD device or that there are multiple scsi.devices for the CDTV. I'm here to tell people thats wrong. I've had some very very knowledgeable people tell me i'm wrong here. But its not true.

On the CD32 scsi.device is identical to the A1200. It has the same md5 checksum even.

On the CDTV scsi.device is aware of the CD drive (because they share a single DMAC) but scsci.device does not control the CD.

Why am I so sure?

Because cd.device (and cdtv.device on CDTVs) have a different API to scsi.device. scsi.device does not know how to control device volume, play CD Audio, perform fades, index a cd or implement the CDXL packet protocol invented by Commodore(?). Its nonsense. scsi.device is a block disk API. CD device is an API invented for controlling CD drives.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
dalek

Re: Misconception about CD based Amiga's

Post by dalek »

and scsi.device is only aware of scsi / ide depending on version - of which neither the cdtv cd drives nor the cd32 cd drives are

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”