TF534 or TF536 in Amiga 2000?

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Lynxman

TF534 or TF536 in Amiga 2000?

Post by Lynxman »

The TF536 locking up during intense file transfer, and the lack of FPU, makes me want to put the TF534 in the 2000, but the extra RAM on the TF536 makes more sense for some things. Both 4 and 6 work with two IDE devices in my system. I heard something about Zorro conflict with the TF534 but don't really know what that was about. Does it conflict with RAM cards or something?
matt020

Re: TF534 or TF536 in Amiga 2000?

Post by matt020 »

So, the system lock up issue with the TF536 is only when writing data, and with an Amiga in 2021 I don't tend to write much data other then installing software (OS, applications, etc) which I tend to do in WinUAE. And the lock ups are not all the time. It doesn't hinder your use of your A2000 by much at all.

Most of the time, if you're not installing software, the Amiga is only reading from the hard drive (CF card) so it's not an issue.

My experience is that the TF536 has an abundance of memory and 50mhz is nice 'n quick, but it doesn't like any Zorro cards that use DMA (which is most of them). In my experience, the TF534 works well with Zorro cards (A2091 and Multiface III worked fine for me) but it only has 4mb fast mem and that runs out quickly.

It's hard to go past the 64mb fastmem of the TF536.
SmoothRunnings

Post by SmoothRunnings »

Are you using your own CF Card on the TF536?

I decided to pay a little extra for my TF536 and had Alenppc add the one he recommended with flash and Amiga OS. I don't have any issues with it in my A2000. I initially had it socketed but bought a card for the processor slot to and have it running that way.
go0se

Post by go0se »

SmoothRunnings wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:20 am Are you using your own CF Card on the TF536?

I decided to pay a little extra for my TF536 and had Alenppc add the one he recommended with flash and Amiga OS. I don't have any issues with it in my A2000. I initially had it socketed but bought a card for the processor slot to and have it running that way.
Is this based on a specific test to recreate the problem or just on day to day usage?

It is unlikely you will see any issue using the card lightly, to run WB apps or WHDLoad, but if you try to copy or archive a significant number of files e.g. >= 200MB of small/standard files between partitions or within the same partition then the problem should show up fairly quickly. Try zipping the 'A' directory of WHDLoad Games if you have it installed, to a temporary location using Directory Opus and leave it running. If you are using AlenPPCs HDD image then DOpus should be installed. This might succeed occasionally but it should lock the system within 5 attempts.

If you can't get it to lock at all then please report what your A2000 setup is. I know Alen has been able to recreate the issue so I don't think it is anything to do with the particular brand of CF card or adapter in use.
SmoothRunnings

Post by SmoothRunnings »

My card is loaded with games and demos. It's got a 8GB CF card which is a Chinese card (I suspect) as I bought a 4GB card years ago from Aliexpress that looks the same as the 8GB card. The only thing I am missing is a switch right now on my Mobo to swtich between PAL and NTSC, for the WHD stuff I find more often than not have to add PAL to the launcher for the Demo or Game I want to launch.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

SmoothRunnings wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:38 pm My card is loaded with games and demos. It's got a 8GB CF card which is a Chinese card (I suspect) as I bought a 4GB card years ago from Aliexpress that looks the same as the 8GB card. The only thing I am missing is a switch right now on my Mobo to swtich between PAL and NTSC, for the WHD stuff I find more often than not have to add PAL to the launcher for the Demo or Game I want to launch.
Glad you're having a good experience with it. I have mine coming From ALenppc today! :)

James

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”