The future of TerribleFire

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

patracy

Re: The future of TerribleFire

Post by patracy »

Thank you. My apologies, first 3000 I've ever owned so I'm learning.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 am
Duncan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:46 pm something for the A600 would be nice, there is nothing for it. The Vampire for the A600 was discontinued some time ago, and there really is nothing else, apart from the Furia's that appear from time on Ebay.
A600's are catered for quite well. The Furia is available new and cheaply. It's pretty much the goto for A600 acceleration if you want to WHDload your machine for cheap.
Any competing card would have to do something extraordinary for it to usurp the Furia.
aye, true enough. it does cost peanuts. I guess it's because it's just an 020, with 9MB RAM, or 4.5MB if you use PCMCIA, i had one, nice wee card, but VERY picky about what CF cards it would use, 6400 in sysinfo. And your right, you wouldn't need anything else really for WHDLoad, but in all honesty, an 020 is as fast as it gets for the A600, i was thinking more in terms of different product, with more RAM and higher performance, than competing with anything else, a TF536 for an A600, would be in both a different price, and performance bracket.

A graphics card for the A500 or A1200, is really where it's at. Almost everyone has an accelerator of some sort, but the vast majority don't have any form of RTG. it wouldn't just be something that would sell to a niche market, EVERY Amiga user would want one. You would be pure minted off the back of it. $$$$ :lol:

i just spitballin' more of an "if only". Please, let me dream before giving me pelters :)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't ken, I've seen motors on fire, on the shoulder near Kinryan, I have watched vejazels glitter in the dark, at the black Trongate, awe these moments, will be lost in time, like beers ... when I'm hame. Time to fry"
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:55 pm Dude you're one of the few that have visited the Dungeon... you think i need more stuff :D :lol:
No, you don't. It was like that opening song from Charlie and the chocolate factory, where they go into the sweet shop. And how old is that dungeon? the rooms have a strange layout, and i had to really duck to get under the doorways, and i am only 5'10".

The problem is though, you're a clever big bugger who can create new hardware, that make us enjoy the system even more. 99% of us, can't. And therefore, you will always be pestered about it, and about making new things. Even by me! :) but I'm harmless.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't ken, I've seen motors on fire, on the shoulder near Kinryan, I have watched vejazels glitter in the dark, at the black Trongate, awe these moments, will be lost in time, like beers ... when I'm hame. Time to fry"
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Duncan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:23 pm
terriblefire wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:55 pm Dude you're one of the few that have visited the Dungeon... you think i need more stuff :D :lol:
No, you don't. It was like that opening song from Charlie and the chocolate factory, where they go into the sweet shop. And how old is that dungeon? the rooms have a strange layout, and i had to really duck to get under the doorways, and i am only 5'10".
The house is 130 years old. The layout is based on supporting the floors on the ground floor above.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
gdonner

Post by gdonner »

Thank you for all the work you have (and are) doing for the Amiga--it's much appreciated!

The TF1260 already has very impressive specs, and I'm looking forward to the TF4060, planning to buy at least one, maybe two.

I'm thankful for my A3660 (4000) and A3640 (3000), but they have their limits. :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm How about FPGA?
IMHO FPGAs are fundamentally limited and are unlikely to get much past 2 x 060 speed. For specific dedicated tasks like bus bridges or computing a hash they are great. But have a look around... if these things were that good you'd have GPUs on them. Bitcoin mining switched to ASIC in 2012 pretty much because FPGAs are too slow.

Far better to bite the bullet and go SDP (Software Defined Processor)..
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
screemo

Post by screemo »

So apparently there's so much extra in this ACA1234-50 to warrant triple the price of the TF1230.

As I see it, just +1000 dhrystones, burst things/cpu cycles within fastram and some PIO4.

(the 8mb flash with kick 3.1 embedded ran like a bag of nuts on my ACA500, so if it's the same thing - probably flaky).

In reality, is there really much difference? (I'm going to take a leap and say no :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

screemo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:06 am In reality, is there really much difference? (I'm going to take a leap and say no :)
I believe the ACA has an FPU.
———
screemo

Post by screemo »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:07 am
screemo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:06 am In reality, is there really much difference? (I'm going to take a leap and say no :)
I believe the ACA has an FPU.
Yeah - I think the text on the TF1230 silkscreen explains the real use of that ;)
Lukya

Post by Lukya »

Terriblefire (Stephen) - I'm in the happy place of having 3 boards from your 'stable' in my Amigas a 534, 536 and a 1260. But I also have a horribly dead Blizzard 2060 - which needs new firmware, which sadly is long gone (Chucky told me the sad story).

So I was wondering - not whether you would do a 2060 or 560 (although those would be nice I admit) but whether there was a possibility of adapting a 1260 with some kind of carrier board, to work in an A2000 processor slot? Not so much will YOU please develop one, but more, can it even be done at all?

Kindest

Luke

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”