TF530 best firmware combo

TF530 - 63030 + RAM Board

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

dalek

TF530 best firmware combo

Post by dalek »

Prefixing this with the fact I know the TF530 is long "dead" support-wise, but I had left-over parts (i.e. 4 SRAM chips) and thought "what the hell" :) This is more to document bits of info I've found about the place and my experience testing.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, firmware "status" is as follows:
  • "RC2" firmware is stable, however does not contain the workarounds for Zorro-II expansion boards in the A2000 or hanging off an A500 Zorro expander.
  • "2018_11_4_beta aimed at 33...50MHz users, and adds compatibility for the Zorro-II compliant expansion devices (e.g. RAM).
I have IDE issues with 2018_11_4_beta - everything "seems" to work fine but on large? reads like when loading a WHDLoad game, there are IDE read failures (indicated by a error referencing (in my case) a read from DH0: failed). I have previously built a board with this firmware that worked fine!!

I suspect most people are still running RC2 firwmare, and the IDE issue doesn't affect all boards, which is why there isn't much info about issues with the later beta firmwares.

What also works (as referenced here (thanks CRP!) is to run the RC2 BUS firmware with the 2018_11_4_beta RAM firmware. This is what I am currently doing, everything seems to work but haven't thoroughly tested yet.

In all cases I've left my IDE resistors at 1k so there may be differences in trying larger values.

Just thought I'd post here for the current state of things in case any one else is feeling nostalgic for the old TF530!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF530 best firmware combo

Post by terriblefire »

The TF530 has new firmware built into the TF534 sources.

Whenever there is a TF534 build there is a 530/520 backport built at the same time.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
dalek

Post by dalek »

Cool - yep I remember a while ago running your make file and it worked well. I'll give it another test (wasn't sure if it was still maintained)!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

dalek wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm Cool - yep I remember a while ago running your make file and it worked well. I'll give it another test (wasn't sure if it was still maintained)!
There hasnt been any changes yet. There maybe a time when i'll bring all the fixes back from the 330.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 am The TF530 has new firmware built into the TF534 sources.

Whenever there is a TF534 build there is a 530/520 backport built at the same time.
Good morning TF. Quick question relating to TF530's. I have two started with the CPLD's and regulators populated awaiting programing. I realize that building these for an Atari is akin to ordering fish at a steak house but never the less I was wondering what is the best firmware is for use for an Atari. Also what clock affords the best chance of success? Thanks.. PaulJ
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Best option is to get the Atari TF534 sources and compile them for a TF530 (the make files already exist there).
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Please be aware that TF530 should be rev 3 if You plan to use it on Atari! Rev 2 is missing A18 address line, so it will not work...
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I'll have to check but pretty sure they were rev3. Thx 8 Bit Dreams. :)

Return to “TF530”