My first TF530 build won't boot

TF530 - 63030 + RAM Board

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

pipper

My first TF530 build won't boot

Post by pipper »

I finally built the TF530 I bought the board for in 2017.. The build itself went rather smooth.
I managed to flash the CPLDs with Impact, but I am facing a problem now: The machine makes to
the kickstart boot image, but then actually won't boot.
It either Gurus or hangs very early on.

A few questions:
1) The schematics and BOM contradict each other for the value of the R1,R2 and R2. The schematics assign 47k, while the BOM assigns 1k. Which one is correct?
2) Can the board still be run in 7mhz mode (via CLOCKSEL) for me to allow rule out a flaw with the oscillator? What is the correct setting for CLOCKSEL?
3) What is the proper use of the BYPASS jumper? If I set it, the RAM CPLD disappears, but now reading the device ID of the Bus CPLD fails.
4) how to properly run the board without enabling the fastmem (again, to try to break down the issues)?
5) which binaries should I flash for best bringup-reliability?

I am going to get Diagrom.
I do have a multimeter and logic probe... no Oscilloscope, though - what can/should I probe to rule out certain known issues?
I double-and triple checked all the SMD soldering for bridges and I'm no fairly confident, that the soldering is ok .

My machine is a A500, rev 8.1a (extended to 1mb onboard chipmem), Kick 1.3
I am using a 25Mhz oscillator and a 50Mhz 68030 (no FPU installed, likely will not)

thanks in advance!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: My first TF530 build won't boot

Post by terriblefire »

What does DiagROM do?

Ignore the schematics. I’ve said the BOM is what people should use many times.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
pipper

Re: My first TF530 build won't boot

Post by pipper »

Hooray!!
Switching back to RC2 firmware and it worked!
Before that I used either the binaries from the TF530 repo
Or the latest beta from the binaries repo.
I can see the 2mb ram and 25mhz 030 processor.
Time to upgrade to 50mhz :-D

One weird thing, though: SysInfo reports DCache as NA (I did not close the CDIS jumper). Is that normal for a
OS 1.3 system

Thanks for making this great project available to us all; you have no idea how much I learned on the way :-)

Looking forward building the TF536 once it’s out!

Return to “TF530”