Help needed on TF530r3 build

TF530 - 63030 + RAM Board

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Eduardo L M

Help needed on TF530r3 build

Post by Eduardo L M »

I'm probably late to the party, but I'm building a TF530r3, and also waiting for TF534r2c pcbs to arrive in the mail. Since (almost) all official resources were taken down, I'm reading all threads I can to learn and reunite all possible info to do my builds.

Currently, I have an almost complete TF530r3, I'm waiting for the SRAMs to arrive, but all other components are already soldered, and CPLDs are programmed. Diagrom is also on the way. So, I have some questions at this point:
  • Is it possible to do a boot test, without fastram, just to see if the 68030/Bus CPLD are working? I have read about wiping the RAM CPLD on the r2 version, but I didn't find any info on the procedure for r3 boards. Should I wipe the CPLD? Or desolder it? Do I need a specific CPLD code version? Should I modify it somehow and recompile? (I don't have the sources, by the way)
  • Is there any installation guide around, for the r3 version? Does it need any external wire, like the r2 needed?
  • Is there a way to simulate the FPU load, and avoid damping on the clock signal? May the absence of SRAMs cause damping of any other signals?
  • I soldered a 25MHz crystal, but I also have 40 and 50 available. My intention is to test and debug at 25, then go for 40 or 50 and see if it runs stable. Are there specific firmwares for 25, 40 and 50? Is there a firmware that will work on all speeds?
  • Is the latest firmware (tf53x_2019_02_18_alpha.zip) really the best, both for TF530 and TF534? Is there any feature/advantage on previous FWs that might be useful?
Thank you guys in advance!

Eduardo
Eduardo L M

Re: Help needed on TF530r3 build

Post by Eduardo L M »

I managed to boot my TF530r3 today! At least I can see the KS1.3 boot screen. So I'll reply some of my questions:
  • To test with no RAM, it's enough to wipe the RAM CPLD clean. At least with a 25MHz crystal, it works.
  • No external wires are needed for r3, at least for now.
  • It worked with and without the FPU installed (at 25MHz)
  • I used tf53x_2019_02_18_alpha.zip firmware
I'll solder the SRAMs and test with diagrom as soon as they arrive in the mail.

Return to “TF530”