TF330 NVram issue

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF330 NVram issue

Post by terriblefire »

Try this one... I expect a slight speed slowdown...
tf330_2019_09_03_alpha.zip
(23.75 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
EDIT: Speed hit isnt too rough... its more or less as it was before..
330_speed.JPG
330_speed.JPG (40.86 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Ok, just came home from work, will try this
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
go0se

Post by go0se »

8Bit - Do you know how to create a NVRAM save on Pinball Fantasies or Pinball Illusions CD32 versions? I have the official controller.

I've updated to the new 2019_09_03 firmware but I'm having a hard time testing this as it seems the implementation of NVRAM saves by the few games that use it is pretty shaky.

I can't see any explicit save option in Pinball Fantasies so my assumption was that if the player achieved a high score on one of the tables then it would be saved automatically to NVRAM. However no new entry appears in the NVRAM list and when I swapped the 330 + CF over to a different CD32 the new high score was still visible so I assume it writes it to the CF card.

I have a D/Generation NVRAM save however saving again doesn't seem to overwrite it even if it's unlocked; and there's no option to delete.

Can anyone suggest some other CD32 games that should create a NVRAM save?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I literally checked this with the NVRAM tools only.

I found there had been a regression that was introduced with the burst firmware that has been undone. I've also backported some RAM stability fixes from TF360 developments.

EDIT: you guys have been screaming for this for months ... nobody managed to test it? was there like a big football game on or something lol
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
go0se

Post by go0se »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 pm EDIT: you guys have been screaming for this for months ... nobody managed to test it? was there like a big football game on or something lol
I'd much rather be testing the idiosyncrasies of the CD32 NVRAM than watching football :)

The issue I'm having is that the original missing NVRAM entries issue as reported in the thread seems inconsistent when attempting to reproduce. I could see NVRAM entries on some occasions and not on others when using the previous firmware version.

DumpNVRAM didn't work without MMULib installed on the previous firmware but I can dump the contents after installing MMULib & using a CPU with MMU without updating to the new firmware.

The lack of games that actually seem to use the NVRAM save feature and the inability to delete entries from the splash screen 'manager' also doesn't help.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Are caches disabled?

You’ll need caches off to see them in the boot menus.
———
theq

Post by theq »

Cannon Fodder is a game that can easily save to NVRAM, but since I'm not at home right now I can't test this out.
Will be able to test this, the earliest, on Saturday.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Nobody manage to test this?
———
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Had no ready built TF330's, have built one just yesterday, will test new FW today after coming back from work, if i got ir correctly it should be tested with CDIS jumper mounted right?
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:21 am Had no ready built TF330's, have built one just yesterday, will test new FW today after coming back from work, if i got ir correctly it should be tested with CDIS jumper mounted right?
In the boot menus you will need caches disabled yes. In WB you can enable caches if you do the update to MMU lib mentioned above.
———

Return to “TF330”