TF-330 and the ProModule

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

sugar

TF-330 and the ProModule

Post by sugar »

I didn't find any information online about this so I would like to share my experiences with the TF-330 and the ProModule.
Being a fan of the CD32 I've long wanted a ProModule but there were other options at the time like the SX32Pro which offered more.
Now I don't have a SX32Pro anymore but got a TF328 and a TF330 and I noticed there was a lot of chat about compatible expansions but I was left under the impression that they all had issues.

Anyway, the ProModule and it's riser work with the TF-330. I need to test the serial and parallel but at least the floppy drive and the RTC work and so does the memory.

Also it would appear that the ProModule connector has the same pin order (a subset though) as the actual CD32 connector so it would be relatively straight forward to make a new riser from the existing Kipper & co templates for it.

I hope it will also work with the TF360 and the NotPort :)
nicus101

Re: TF-330 and the ProModule

Post by nicus101 »

You are telling that TF330 works along with Promodule connected? I also happen to have CD32 Promodule but i was scared to put TF330 into FMV slot along with promodule
sugar

Post by sugar »

Yes they work great together or at least the memory, parallel, floppy, rtc serial, keyboard, rgb work. Didn't get the fpu working running but might be other issues. It's great because you can play 4 player games through parallel as well as hooking it online via serial or paraller and playing midi through the serial too and you don't lose your head when the date is always wrong :) The only minus is that the keyboard adapter on the ProModule maps the keyboard a bit funky so a custom riser with the Kipper riser logic would be nice.
Akiko

Post by Akiko »

@sugar

I think you also have a TF360 prototype?

I'm just curious if it is also compatible with the Elsat Pro module?
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

Does anyone has schematic of this? I am curious how floppy has been implemented there.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
sugar

Post by sugar »

Akiko wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:42 pm @sugar

I think you also have a TF360 prototype?

I'm just curious if it is also compatible with the Elsat Pro module?
The TF360 doesnt work with the ProModule but I suspect it is because of the same reason the CD-drive doesn't work yet on the TF360 firmware I have. Perhaps that will happen sometime in the future, who knows. Would be lovely, though.
sugar

Post by sugar »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:08 pm Does anyone has schematic of this? I am curious how floppy has been implemented there.
This might be the answer you are looking for but it's done wih CIA chips like the other CD32 expansions that offer a floppy drive except the Wallstreet/Analogic floppy drive.
Akiko

Post by Akiko »

It also seems to really dislike my Wicher CD32, and it's just a basic memory expansion with clockport.

It runs beautifully with the TF330, but if you ever get in running on an 060 please share, now that's something I would really love to see. :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:08 pm Does anyone has schematic of this? I am curious how floppy has been implemented there.
The floppy lines are all present in the CD32 except for the drive select lines and the stepper pulses. Those are done through a latch which decodes address.

BFD100 prb /MTR /SEL3 /SEL2 /SEL1 /SEL0 /SIDE DIR /STEP

(which would be wired direct to the appropriate floppy lines).

I think there must also be emulation/implementation of

BFE001 pra /FIR1 /FIR0 /RDY /TK0 /WPRO /CHNG /LED OVL

Which should be fine as FIR1 and FIR0 are brought out to the edge connector (i'm assuming that you can read the state of a joystick fire button plugged into the D Sub here). So those will be fed into a second decoded latch. ( so even though you are overriding the chipset you can feed these values back into it.. its probably why they are present on the rear edge connector)

EDIT: so BFE001 is decoded (and PUNT'ed) for reads. And BFD100 is decoded and punted for writes. Looks like that would minimally get you a working floppy drive.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

There is a schematic for that available:
http://aminet.net/docs/hard/cd32_floppy.lha
Someone already built it:

Seems it's working
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany

Return to “TF330”