Cooling fan needed to run TF330

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

matt020

Cooling fan needed to run TF330

Post by matt020 »

Hi all,

Has anyone had the need to run a cooling fan in order for the TF330 to be stable?

Just sharing my experience recently, where a TF330 arrived, and I couldn't get it stable for anymore than 1-2 minutes. Screen glitches, random resets, all sorted. A second TF330 was supplied and it too had similar results. I added some heatsinks to the CPU, CPLD, and ram chips, and found the board would be stable for 20 to 30 minutes, but then problems repeat.

Lastky, I mounted a 12v cooling fan to the inside of the lid, mounted with hot glue, directly above the TF330, and connected it to the 5V line. I used 5V line so it would run slower and be quiet, and it is enough air movement to have the system run stable for hours (longest test has been 6 hours).

I am located in West Australia, and we have had 30+ degree days since early December.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Cooling fan needed to run TF330

Post by alenppc »

Hi Matt, I have not experienced anything like that, but to be fair over here it's more likely that we are at -30C than +30C, never had that kind of temperature inside my home.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

matt020 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 am Hi all,

Has anyone had the need to run a cooling fan in order for the TF330 to be stable?

Just sharing my experience recently, where a TF330 arrived, and I couldn't get it stable for anymore than 1-2 minutes. Screen glitches, random resets, all sorted. A second TF330 was supplied and it too had similar results. I added some heatsinks to the CPU, CPLD, and ram chips, and found the board would be stable for 20 to 30 minutes, but then problems repeat.

Lastky, I mounted a 12v cooling fan to the inside of the lid, mounted with hot glue, directly above the TF330, and connected it to the 5V line. I used 5V line so it would run slower and be quiet, and it is enough air movement to have the system run stable for hours (longest test has been 6 hours).

I am located in West Australia, and we have had 30+ degree days since early December.
Do you have the disabled jumper in place?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
matt020

Post by matt020 »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 am Do you have the disabled jumper in place?
Yes.

With heat sinks and cooling fan, the system is wonderful! Six hours and it didn't fault. And I have done tests of similar duration and its good.
(But switch off the fan.... and 30 mins or so, and the problem repeats)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Well to be fair +30C is not something we see in the UK much and pretty much never in Scotland.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
matt020

Post by matt020 »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:49 am Well to be fair +30C is not something we see in the UK much and pretty much never in Scotland.
I guess I posted this just for people to be aware that if glitches or resets are encountered, and the user is in a warmer part of the world, to try some cooling.
wairnair

Post by wairnair »

Here in Hungary it does go up to 30C at times and my TF330 works fine.
The solution for me was a full 68030RC50 cpu (with MMU, running at 50mhz stock) in place of an EC40 which was overclocked to 50Mhz in the TF330.

I even bought a heatsink to go with it but never needed it!

Return to “TF330”