Why nobody cares about 030 A1200 accelerators

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Why nobody cares about 030 A1200 accelerators

Post by alenppc »

Good 030 chips are getting really hard to find… I bought 15 recently and only 4 were good. Because of this, the pricing on that batch works out to $132 usd per cpu. Needless to say, because of this my TF1230s are now sold severely under cost (ie if you buy one from me, I’m losing $100 per board). Just saying this to people who complain about price :p
brostenen

Post by brostenen »

alenppc wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:50 pm Good 030 chips are getting really hard to find… I bought 15 recently and only 4 were good. Because of this, the pricing on that batch works out to $132 usd per cpu. Needless to say, because of this my TF1230s are now sold severely under cost (ie if you buy one from me, I’m losing $100 per board). Just saying this to people who complain about price :p
It actually crossed my mind the other day. At some point 030's will be in such a demand versus supply. That the price will go higher.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I must admit that the GVP Jaws II I have in my A1200 does transform the machine. I did find a larger GVP SIMM a couple of years ago which helped too. So I’m not in the market for another board. If I had another A1200 I might be in the market, but they’re so massively expensive that there’s very little chance of that.

Original 030 accelerators are still massively expensive on eBay.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

50Mhz capable 030 were are already vacuumed by TF536 and TF330
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

brostenen wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:51 pm
alenppc wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:50 pm Good 030 chips are getting really hard to find… I bought 15 recently and only 4 were good. Because of this, the pricing on that batch works out to $132 usd per cpu. Needless to say, because of this my TF1230s are now sold severely under cost (ie if you buy one from me, I’m losing $100 per board). Just saying this to people who complain about price :p
It actually crossed my mind the other day. At some point 030's will be in such a demand versus supply. That the price will go higher.
Basically this is why i think Software defined processors are the future.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:08 pm Well i'm an original hardware aficionado. The idea of putting a pi in my chase hq cab makes me sick... thats a hint at what i'm working on btw.
Yes, this is exactly how I see it as well, having a modern day PI inside defeats the purpose of the term 'Retro computer'. :roll:

Edit:
Am I being a purist? I certainly am :D, but is that not the whole point of collecting old hardware? ;)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
brostenen

Post by brostenen »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 pm
brostenen wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:51 pm It actually crossed my mind the other day. At some point 030's will be in such a demand versus supply. That the price will go higher.
Basically this is why i think Software defined processors are the future.
Personally I am following the RaspberryPI EMU68 project close. Bare metal programming and it looks like it will always be allowed to only run CPU and Ram. I mean, sound and all other stuff are on the 500 mainboard anyway, so why the PiStorm looks like RTG and all that jazz will be integrated is something that I simply don't understand. There are so many other cheap expansions for the 500 anyway, like CPU-Socket HDD adaptors/ports and Gotek. There are RGBtoHDMI as well. But yeah... I do fully understand and accept that people want everything integrated into PiStorm. And that is why I am more interested in EMU68 instead.

Else we can just fetch us an PI-400 and go fully emulation. But that is not my thing either. Good for a different segment of users though.
brostenen

Post by brostenen »

Danoo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:26 am
terriblefire wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:08 pm Well i'm an original hardware aficionado. The idea of putting a pi in my chase hq cab makes me sick... thats a hint at what i'm working on btw.
Yes, this is exactly how I see it as well, having a modern day PI inside defeats the purpose of the term 'Retro computer'. :roll:

Edit:
Am I being a purist? I certainly am :D, but is that not the whole point of collecting old hardware? ;)
An Amiga purist in my book is someone who will never use any Amiga hardware that are made after the late 1990's. ;-)

Return to “TF330”