DiagROM for ST

DiagROM software & help

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

JezC

Re: DiagROM for ST

Post by JezC »

Thanks for the reply.

When I downloaded the binaries for the ST they appeared to be just too big to fit in a pair of 27c512 - probably just a few K with a couple of strings and a couple of blocks of constant data values so I was hoping there might be a smaller image that would fit in the pair of 512k bit EPROMs I have available.

Slim chance probably, but I felt it worth asking.

Maybe the cart version is smaller? I don't have a board to use the cart versions directly or I'd give that a go.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Yeah. Now that you mention it, the cart version is 128Kbyte (2 pieces of 64Kbyte roms).

But TOS 1.04 and below is 192Kbyte just like the DiagRom for ST is. Your 27C512 only fits 512Kbit (64Kbyte) so it won't fit as you said. You could split the DiagRom in 6 parts and burn it on your 27C256 (32Kbyte). You have to move threee solder pads on the main STfm board though.

EDIT: Not all STfm version boards have those three solder pads. So maybe not a smart option for your broken boards.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Hmm, sounds like what I really want is a build with the same image size as the cart version but as a replacement for the existing TOS ROMs.

Then I could program up the 27c512s and replace the existing ROMs to diagnose & fix the faults, then re-fit the original ROMs or even upgrade to 1.04 at some point.

Thanks again for the info...gives me some ideas to work towards.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:20 pm When I downloaded the binaries for the ST they appeared to be just too big to fit in a pair of 27c512 -

A "pair" of ST ROM's is 27C1001 not 512... I have had diagrom running on a ST in place of the OS ROM's just fine.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:53 am Problem solved, had 2 HN27C4096 120ns eproms I got off eBay from China. One died in September last year. With the remaining chip it came down to the swapped byte image I tried in the bad half of the eprom rom over and over. It was programmed on two differient eprom programmers with no faults but the upper half of the eprom will not boot any image. Swapped bytes in the lower half and it work.. All this because I didn't want to make a first attempt in a one burn only chip. Shesh!!!

Thanks
I think I need to program a HN27C4096 to help me diagnose my H4 board. Can someone please confirm which file from Github I should use to program the chip?

Plan is to use this in the onboard PLCC44 socket and see what I get. Hoping someone can provide the file if it needs byte swapping.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

kodak80 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:27 am I think I need to program a HN27C4096 to help me diagnose my H4 board. Can someone please confirm which file from Github I should use to program the chip?

Plan is to use this in the onboard PLCC44 socket and see what I get. Hoping someone can provide the file if it needs byte swapping.
.rom = unswapped
.bin = swapped
.hi/.lo split for the machine in the filename
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Hi guys,

Is anyone willing to burn me up a Falcon compatible (PLCC44, E00000) copy of DiagROM for a moderate gratuity, or can point me to a seller? I'm hoping not to make a habit of ROM burning so don't think the programmer, adapters and blanks are a sensible investment yet.

@exxos Have you considered DiagROMs as a store option?

Cheers,

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

@Badwolf I am considering the ROM and got permission to distribute it in my store, but I only really deal in PLCC ROMs now. So I need to design a new cartridge to use the ROM first, but with so many projects ongoing I don't know when I will get chance to design it. Mostly people burn their own ROM's anyway.

I don't know if anyone even tested diagrom on the falcon.. It was built with the ST in mind.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:04 pm I don't know if anyone even tested diagrom on the falcon.. It was built with the ST in mind.
It should be easy to try on an emulator. I should really update this with Chucky's new changes. I'm kinda waiting for him to do a better ram test first.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

terriblefire wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:59 pm It should be easy to try on an emulator. I should really update this with Chucky's new changes. I'm kinda waiting for him to do a better ram test first.
Hatari just refuses point blank (even when padding to 512k). I think it's trying to be too clever As things progress with my board I may look into it into a bit more detail as I'm sure I'll hit a point the systest cart works but TOS doesn't.

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark

Return to “DiagROM”