Related information and WIP etc
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ Cool, thanks.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

I'm not quite sure what you are after. 27C400 package is a standard 40 pin DIP and any EPROM datasheet has the pinout e.g. M27C400 for the ST part

The module supports the /BYTE pin for x8 or x16 data just like the EPROM. All the other pins in read mode act the same as an EPROM, /OE, /CS etc

If you're after a CAD library/part file I use Diptrace not Eagle.
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

I have joined the testing club and have built my three IDE adapters. :D

The TOS ROM I have programmed has TOS 1.04 (IDE patched) and EmuTOS 0.9.12(256k) in the IDE adapter plcc44 socket.

EmuTOS is booting fine and everything is working in my H4 board. However TOS 1.04 (IDE patched using https://github.com/czietz/ideboot/) is booting HD Driver 10.18 fine and C drive icon shows on desktop but I cannot open it and see the contents. Running HD Driver from floppy shows all the partitions on the disk.

Any suggestions on what to check?
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@kodak80 , have tried all those boot images except the patched 1.04. I ran 1.04 just to test it with HD driver but didn't spend a lot of time there. Spend most of my cycles on 2.06 and EmuTOS 9.12 which is becoming my favorite boot image. The improved IDE 1.1 foot print and 2.0 mm header pins makes this board a winner in my book.
czietz

Post by czietz »

kodak80 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:35 pm EmuTOS is booting fine and everything is working in my H4 board. However TOS 1.04 (IDE patched using https://github.com/czietz/ideboot/) is booting HD Driver 10.18 fine and C drive icon shows on desktop but I cannot open it and see the contents. Running HD Driver from floppy shows all the partitions on the disk.

How did you partition your IDE drive? How big is the C partition? TOS has several limitation which partition, cluster and sector sizes it can support. (EmuTOS has much fewer restrictions in that regard.)

EDIT: See http://joo.kie.sk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... _Guide.pdf for TOS limits.
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

czietz wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:28 am
kodak80 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:35 pm EmuTOS is booting fine and everything is working in my H4 board. However TOS 1.04 (IDE patched using https://github.com/czietz/ideboot/) is booting HD Driver 10.18 fine and C drive icon shows on desktop but I cannot open it and see the contents. Running HD Driver from floppy shows all the partitions on the disk.

How did you partition your IDE drive? How big is the C partition? TOS has several limitation which partition, cluster and sector sizes it can support. (EmuTOS has much fewer restrictions in that regard.)

EDIT: See http://joo.kie.sk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... _Guide.pdf for TOS limits.
Okay, thank you for the reminder. "Up to 256MB for TOS < 1.04"

My partitions are 1024mb!......I know this but it did not occur to me!

Thank you. Will re-partition my disk and re-test things.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@kodak80 I use 512MB partitions on my drives under TOS 1.04 across hard drives and CF cards. All work very well on both the original beta IDE boards and the V1.1C. I use HDDRIVER 11. I find over about 4GB isn't that helpful on account of the limitations on the number of partitions.

I am intending to patch TOS 1.04 for IDE and will test that too as soon as I get the chance.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Okay, so one of my boards boots fine, the other one seems to not get data from the rom.

All that's in the IDE board at the mo is the cpu. I'm using the motherboard rom which is tos1.04 and boots fine without the ide board in. Which I find bizarre as the cpu is pretty much wired directly albeit through a few sockets.

Its been tested in the H4s but at the moment it's in one of my Megas, simply because I can fault find easier on this machine as I'm more familiar with it.

Everything seems fine except D0 when scoped on pin 5 of the cpu. D0 stays low when all other data and address lines have pulses.

BR BGACK both high, pulses on /AS and DTACK. Both reset and halt are high.

Back to the diagnosis I guess?

Edit:
Well, I can see why D0 is low, its directly connected to ground somewhere on the IDE board. At least I know why now.

Edit 2:

I cut the track from pin5 of the CPU to the U1 and now I don't have any problem with D0. Having a good look round the board for whats likely the 20th time, I can't see anything to ground that shouldn't be, so I'm guessing its a faulty PCB?

At least I can draw a line under the second board episode now :D.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
derkom

Post by derkom »

I got the last necessary bits in the mail today and completed my build. So far, everything looks good. I've put a few more comments and a couple of photos in my H4 build thread here.
derkom

Post by derkom »

Hrm, is there some secret to getting TOS 2.06 to boot? I've tried creating a combination 1.04/2.06 image using CartMan (with 256 kB split) and also a straight TOS 2.06, in both cases with the TOS image here, and neither one will boot 2.06, although the former will boot 1.04 if jumpered thusly.

In both cases, I've written the image to a AT27C4096 using XGPro software and a TL866II PLUS programmer, and verified good write. Note that I have near zero experience programming ROMs, so if there's something I missed/messed, I'm not surprised. :)

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”