ALPHA CPU Extension Board - Yes Another Tower

Related information and WIP etc
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

ALPHA CPU Extension Board - Yes Another Tower

Post by Icky »

To continue the testing and development of the STF Remake Exxos and I have been discussing a CPU extension board to go on the STF to help test various things out with the Alpha, such as the IDE DEV board and the SEC 50MHz booster.

The board solders into where the CPU socket would be on the Alpha and then provides the user to either use a 68000 DIL or 68000 PLCC depending on their required use.

It will have a resistor SIL to replace the missing pull-ups for BGACK PULL UP FIX and BR Fix around the 68K. I you want to take those off of the bottom of the board you can just place the SIL on this board to have a bit of neatness.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =20#p10198

Image is for size and placement reference of where it will go on the Alpha.

IMG_3829.jpg
IMG_3829.jpg (289.7 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
PhilC

Re: ALPHA CPU Extension Board - Yes Another Tower

Post by PhilC »

Looksa good idea to me and has persuaded me to fix the video on my STF Remake.

BTW, one of your chips is missing its sticker. ;)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Just checking but possible adaptor for STEs as well maybe? Could test the IDE on those too if theres any interest?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:42 pm Just checking but possible adaptor for STEs as well maybe? Could test the IDE on those too if theres any interest?
It could be done.. but with STE's being so unstable to start with, I think its opening a whole new can of worms... Most boards myself and Icky are working on are heading towards only really being used on the remake boards at the moment. The remake board is the only stable board to develop on. Its why I pretty much abandoned upgrades for other machines, as just spending endless time chasing design faults or bugs in the motherboards themselves rather than developing hardware.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Here is the finished versions of the design of the simple expansion for the Alpha to help test other boards on it such as exxos' SEC booster, IDE Dev board etc.

The RN1 SIL is for replacing an Alpha fix as mentioned at the start of this thread and the JP1 is on the CPU clock line so we can easily plug a line in from the 16MHz board exxos has designed.

Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 21.20.39.png
Screenshot 2019-05-09 at 21.20.39.png (109.34 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Built one of these up tonight. This is going to need some surgery on the ALPHA board to get up and running.

I put the RPN1 (2K2) in as I will take the patched one off the underside of the ALPHA board.

IMG_3962.jpg
IMG_3962.jpg (174.69 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
IMG_3963.jpg
IMG_3963.jpg (140.64 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Let us know how you make out.. :)
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PaulJ wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:28 am Let us know how you make out.. :)
Will do PaulJ. One thing I have noticed is on my ALPHA I had used SIL sockets and DIL sockets for the components around the CPU where this board will go. As we now know these components work I will remove the sockets and drop the components in directly so as to get this board in nicely. Otherwise we will end up with more stacking.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Just finished my 16MHz Mod board plug-in so thought I would now move onto the next phase - fitting the extension board.

Took forever to get the PLCC socket out, it was being a little stubborn. After unsoldering the socket I put in a makeshift socket from SIL's to be able to plug the board in.

IMG_3974.jpg
IMG_3974.jpg (190.06 KiB) Viewed 5489 times

I noticed I have to bend some of my 16MHz mod headers slightly to get the board in and be able plug the 16MHz etc lines in. Also I have used the RN1 so as to remove the one that was under my board. Cleaned up my board underneath no end. However I noticed I missed out the pull-up on the BG line. Patch for the extension board if using the RN1 is a thin wire from the RN1 to the BG pin as can be seen in the pic below.

IMG_3975.jpg
IMG_3975.jpg (208.28 KiB) Viewed 5489 times

Now all I need to do is put the 16MHz mod back on and the RAM board and see if this board fires up. Not sure I will get time tonight as its gone midnight.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Looken good Icky.. plug the IDE/206 board in and you may win the high-rise contest. :)

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”