A prosperous beginning ?

Related information and WIP etc
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

A prosperous beginning ?

Post by exxos »

I was just in middle of putting the TOS206 decoder board in my store and it reminded me of something...

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.39 KiB) Viewed 2745 times

Firstly the requirement of a DUALTOS board on a original machine. Whereas the H4 does not need such a board. So that is already one board less to buy and install on the H4.

The second problem as well, is there are so many variations of the ST/F/M motherboards that I only actually produce a DUALTOS board for the later STFM boards , namely the 70789 styles. Again we don't have this problem on the H4 because all boards are (and will be) basically identical. The H4 already comes ready out of the box with a DUALTOS PLCC ROM socket.

Thirdly, there is no soldering to do to fit this decoder board into a H4. You can literally just plug it in and you are away. On a original machine you would have to desolder the CPU, either solder the decoder board directly into the motherboard, or solder a socket on the motherboard to fit the decoder board.

As a lot of people are not good at soldering, Such people will most likely destroy the motherboard and then needed to be sent off for someone to repair it for them. Alternatively, they would have to ship their board to have it fitted for them in the first place. Either scenario results in a lot of time and expense. And this is true for the majority of original upgrades.

This just highlights how versatile,easy and cheaply it is to upgrade the H4 motherboards Over the original machines.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”