TF360 Status

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF360 Status

Post by terriblefire »

Doedehoelahoep wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:02 pm I’m definitely interested in a TF360 PCB. Hopefully you can put me on the list. 😎👍🏻
I'm not going to be selling TF360s bare. You'll need to go to @supaduper, @go0se, @alenppc etc if you want one.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
dalek

Post by dalek »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:24 pm I'm not going to be selling TF360s bare. You'll need to go to @supaduper, @go0se, @alenppc etc if you want one.
Aww how come :( ? Not complaining, understand it's totally up to you to do what you want, but just curious as to why? Does this mean no gerbers for all? Or will those three still be selling unpopulated (apart from the passives) PCBS?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

dalek wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:45 pm
terriblefire wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:24 pm I'm not going to be selling TF360s bare. You'll need to go to @supaduper, @go0se, @alenppc etc if you want one.
Aww how come :( ? Not complaining, understand it's totally up to you to do what you want, but just curious as to why? Does this mean no gerbers for all? Or will those three still be selling unpopulated (apart from the passives) PCBS?
generally speaking they buy in quantities of 25 or 50... Its so. much less hassle.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
theq

Post by theq »

I'm still worried about temperature.
I made a temperature monitor for my A4000 with Chucky's A3660. All my 060 rev.6 CPU's (@50MHz) are all running at about 60-65˚C. Just with the power supply fan running without any passive cooling. Confirmed the numbers with a thermal camera. The DC converter is running at 80-85˚C.

Edit: I reach this temperature after about 30-45 minute running on idle.

Have you done any extensive testing with this in mind?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

theq wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 am I'm still worried about temperature.
I made a temperature monitor for my A4000 with Chucky's A3660. All my 060 rev.6 CPU's (@50MHz) are all running at about 60-65˚C. Just with the power supply fan running without any passive cooling. Confirmed the numbers with a thermal camera. The DC converter is running at 80-85˚C.

Edit: I reach this temperature after about 30-45 minute running on idle.

Have you done any extensive testing with this in mind?
I run my rev0 TF360 in a CD32 running the quake demo for 24hrs (@80Mhz). The CD32 is much better for cooling than most other Amigas and there are specific cooling tricks in my design. I wouldnt even be considering releasing this if we hadnt tested the thermals .

I've covered cooling design LOTS in my videos.
———
theq

Post by theq »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:09 am I run my rev0 TF360 in a CD32 running the quake demo for 24hrs (@80Mhz). The CD32 is much better for cooling than most other Amigas and there are specific cooling tricks in my design. I wouldnt even be considering releasing this if we hadnt tested the thermals .

I've covered cooling design LOTS in my videos.
Top notch :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

To repeat myself (which you all know i love to do!)

The TF360 Doesnt use a linear reg... its a daughter board switching design. No heat issues there.

The TF360 doesnt run the CPU balls to the wall all the time. When it accesses the motherboard resources it switches the CPU to 14Mhz. Which allows it to cool. Infact anything except fastram is 14Mhz right now. So the chip will spend at least 20% of its time at a cooler frequency. This makes a huge difference because heat dissipates at the 4th power of temperature. It also means the machine can run off a simple standard power pack.

Actually the biggest issue on the TF360 rev 0 is the CPLD gets hot because some pins float. Thats fixed in rev 2.

EDIT: Also the expansion bay area on the CD32 has air slot holes in the case so the hot air can immediately escape out of the CD32.
———
theq

Post by theq »

That’s great! Didn’t know you made it CPU throttle.
I can only refer to what I know, hence being afraid of heating issues. And the power distribution is ingenious and obvious (for some) as the CD32 was shipped with a puny power supply. Respect.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

theq wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 am That’s great! Didn’t know you made it CPU throttle.
I can only refer to what I know, hence being afraid of heating issues. And the power distribution is ingenious and obvious (for some) as the CD32 was shipped with a puny power supply. Respect.
CPU Throttling is the central design of both the TF330 and TF360.. I've been going on about it on videos for year. Its reason the TF536 exists because people wanted that there too.
———
matt020

Post by matt020 »

theq wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 am That’s great! Didn’t know you made it CPU throttle.
His videos are worth watching, they're good mate....

Return to “TF360”