68060 sources

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Higgy

Re: 68060 sources

Post by Higgy »

Hi.
Pretty sure Chucky has said he has some chips, but that they will only go with a TF1260/360. He is not selling them on their own.
He wants them on open source cards.
You could register on 'Commodore Amiga' Facebook group. Someone recently sold some Rev 5's for good price.
Amibay might have some Rev 5 and older pop up.

The days of cheap full Rev 6's have gone.
LC models seem to be way forward if you have not got a 060 already.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Likewise I am saving the ones I have for the 1260 and 360 board once they are available. But check my LC thread, I believe this is a fully viable CPU that will run literally anything except Quake. And it will run FAST! 75-80 MHz without issues.
dalek

Post by dalek »

srosefx wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:55 pm ...
so ive been lurking about trawling through the forum threads and checking out possible sources for030rc's and 060rc's but the info generally says "be careful" ...
At this point in time I would NOT be careful :) Just order a USED rev 6 060 from Chinabay paying by paypal and hope for the best. Make sure you have a means to test it in a known working 060 card. If it's fake return it.
sugar

Post by sugar »

dalek wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:01 am
srosefx wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:55 pm ...
so ive been lurking about trawling through the forum threads and checking out possible sources for030rc's and 060rc's but the info generally says "be careful" ...
At this point in time I would NOT be careful :) Just order a USED rev 6 060 from Chinabay paying by paypal and hope for the best. Make sure you have a means to test it in a known working 060 card. If it's fake return it.
If you can finds that have matching makings and signs of usage then great but I don't think there are any of these on sale.
If the price is right you can gamble a bit and hope to get a remarked rev6/rev5/rev1. That can happen and I think Exxos used to get those but since full 060s don't show up as much most fakes are just EC/LC chips. An easy way to spot these is the -003 marking on the side but a lot of the cpus seem to have fake -002/-004/-006 markings too so that itself is no guarantee but with a legit looking -003 marking there's no room to gamble. Ordering something from China takes weeks so when I got some fakes earlier this spring the whole buy-> get refund cycle took a good two-three months (using fast shipment methods), I failed to demand for full return of postage early and eventually they just ignored me about it since too much time had passed and they had used some excuses to not immediately do it. I requested customs back but haven't heard from that either. Might happen, might not happen. So if you can test the CPUs straight away it's doable, but it's a long cycle and you easily lose some money. You either need to order a lot of CPUs or you need to spend a lot of time if you always retry only after refund. Tbh I'd just order from qsourceco_6 while they still have stock. If you luck out later you can always flog off the more expensive CPU.
srosefx

Post by srosefx »

Hi
Thank you for the advice, I took sugars advice with the 030. thanks for the tip. I don't have any way of testing yet as I don't have a 330 board yet.
Alenppc, as for the 060's im probably not going to take that risk and buy lone chips, so if I were to buy from you do I have to register interest? for a board kit with parts or fully assembled ? I guess there's a waiting list and I id rather support the community who have been helping so many, rather than ripping some boards off and buying parts online. and TBO, you have skills and me soldering smc, the whole board will look like a tiny miniature graveyard !!!
sugar

Post by sugar »

Electro-funklind on Ebay (which is not funkward-tech) has apparently sold mostly legit cpus in the past judging from the reviews and he has some rev6s available at a reasonable price if someone wants to risk it.

Interestingly the seller said his other store indeed is funkward-tech, so at 125€ a pop I would have a go if I wouldn't already have a tray incoming in mail.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Thanks for the info! I got an RC66 today which I was hoping would do 75Mhz on the TF1260, but it just reboots at that speed =/ If anyone has an LC060 for sale that will run stably at 75Mhz please let me know.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
hammer

Post by hammer »

alenppc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:37 pm
I will have both options available, but I don't have many CPUs. I am trying to stock a few so that they will be available when the board is ready, but as you can see it's been hard finding them. Luckily I was able to return all the fakes but I still had to pay return postage on them, so the exercise is not completely free but every once in a while I get a good one amongst tons of fakes.

Actually if you are satisfied with an LC variant you can find them for as little as $35 but of course you won't be able to run Quake or Netsurf or any of the ixemul ports, which is kind of annoying.
Running Quake on the Amiga would be nearly pointless since Windows PC has WinQuake or QuakeGL or recent Quake II RTX.

I plan to treat 68LC060 as a very fast 68030 with higher memory storage i.e. higher than 24-bit memory address limitations. Amiga games are useful to avoid PC's DOS era games and their annoying DOS command line UI and config issues. I use to own an Amiga 3000/030 at 25Mhz (via my Dad's cash at bank in the early 1990s) and I don't need another 68030 class machine. My current Amiga is the 1200 rev 1D4 model and it's waiting for a 68LC060 accelerator card.

I'm in no rush in buying the full 68060.
From https://aminet.net/package/comm/www/netsurf-m68k

Netsurf version 3.6 (11 Dec 2016) has "compiled for 060 no fpu".
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

That build of NetSurf doesn't work for me! Just re-tested it, just crashes or fails to set video mode. IBrowse is more up-to-date.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
brufnus

Post by brufnus »

Hi there, it's good to see you here as well, that suggest you don't have any copper plates to pick out from floppies, reshaping ridges on head assemblies, etc. at the time of writing. :mrgreen:

Joking aside, it was great to find this site as well... the more Amiga sites available, the better. It's definitely quite a lot more than I can say about my Myarc Geneve 9640; most people haven't even heard about that one... :shock:

Return to “TF360”