Syncing WHDLoad Repositories

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Syncing WHDLoad Repositories

Post by terriblefire »

So i have something of the order of 15 Amiga's now and with the advent of the ESP8266 i've got many of them on my local LAN network.

I'd like to be able to keep a single network storage location up to date with a standard WHDLoad and other games i'd like sync'd onto all my machines.

Any suggestions for solutions? I'd rather not use samba for speed reasons (plus i want to be able to sync and go offline). I heard that Backup will do the job. However i've done this sort of thing in anger commercially with rsync in the past but that isnt readily available.

However i'd like a few opinions on this.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
stephen_usher

Re: Syncing WHDLoad Repositories

Post by stephen_usher »

I wonder if you could reverse engineer the protocol that Amiga Explorer uses and talk to the client running on the Amigas using a Linux box determining what's on the Amiga HD and then modifying as appropriate.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 pm I wonder if you could reverse engineer the protocol that Amiga Explorer uses and talk to the client running on the Amigas using a Linux box determining what's on the Amiga HD and then modifying as appropriate.
Interesting thought... i think its long overdue that we worked out the AExplorer protocol
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Not very technical, but Zeb from South West Amiga Group (and other places) updates a 8GB .img when new WHDLoad games & demos are released.
It just boots to standard workbench and files are in folders. So no quick ArcadeGameSelector2 etc menu.
I store the .img on my PC then just write to CF for use on my A1200/CD32. Would probably boot on A500 etc with some of your cards installed.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:05 pm Not very technical, but Zeb from South West Amiga Group (and other places) updates a 8GB .img when new WHDLoad games & demos are released.
It just boots to standard workbench and files are in folders. So no quick ArcadeGameSelector2 etc menu.
I store the .img on my PC then just write to CF for use on my A1200/CD32. Would probably boot on A500 etc with some of your cards installed.
Yeah its mostly the same idea here but the trouble is thats too much effort when 15 machines need updated.

Remember computers were invented to automate the tasks that are repetitive... they all get together at night to laugh at those of us who do the tasks ourselves manually.
———
dalek

Post by dalek »

Looks like there is a version of rsync on sminet. I haven't tried it. Could in theory modify it to never use rolling checksum mode, only ever compare on size/timestamp and do full copies.

But a better idea might be a whdload. wrapper that just retrieves the game you want using samba or nfs or whatever and either installs it out runs it from ram.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

dalek wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:37 pm Looks like there is a version of rsync on sminet. I haven't tried it. Could in theory modify it to never use rolling checksum mode, only ever compare on size/timestamp and do full copies.
Rolling checksum mode is freaking awesome. BUT... i'm not sure how the feable Amiga would cope with it.. I've used this mode to do database replication between machines when the custom database didnt support perfect replication itself. Its the mutts nuts for minimal updates.
But a better idea might be a whdload. wrapper that just retrieves the game you want using samba or nfs or whatever and either installs it out runs it from ram.
That works until you want to go offline with your updated database i guess.
———
nico

Post by nico »

I have a solution that use a util called MirrorCopy. I never got the rsync from aminet working, so this was the best thing I came up with.

http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/MirrorCopy

So I typically mount my source dir as amshare: with smbmount and run this script:
System:Programs/MirrorCopy/mirrorcopy amshare:Games games: BUF=512 ALL VERBOSE
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

nico wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:19 pm I have a solution that use a util called MirrorCopy. I never got the rsync from aminet working, so this was the best thing I came up with.

http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/MirrorCopy

So I typically mount my source dir as amshare: with smbmount and run this script:
System:Programs/MirrorCopy/mirrorcopy amshare:Games games: BUF=512 ALL VERBOSE
Thats a good shout.

I'd seen a program called csync too ... a more lightweight version of rsync.
———
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sorry for the perhaps basic question, but could someone point me in the direction of this ESP8266 wifi for amiga, has a tutorial or guide been made somewhere? I'd like to get my Amiga connected to wifi, I currently use Roadshow tcpip stack and a pcmcia ethernet using Cnet driver. I was gonna get a wifi bridge but then I saw this thread..

Return to “TF360”