Rev 2 IDE speed + observations during use

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Higgy

Rev 2 IDE speed + observations during use

Post by Higgy »

Hi,

With the talk on another topic of IDE speeds and 2-4mb/s being achievable on CD32 I was wondering if the current TF360 firmware or a software setting is limiting me to 1.5mb/s?
This is with with the normal CF card as supplied by Mark with the beta TF360 Rev 2s and I also got the same speed on another CF I setup.

I have also noticed some strange behaviour on the demo 'Starstruck' by TBL (using Final version released in 2018). At 50Mhz there is glitching, this is first noticeable after the loading screen.
At 62 and 75 mhz glitches have gone. I thought usually a faster speed would make say 3d motion smoother, why would there be glitches at 50mhz? Anyone else got another 50mhz 060 system to check ? Chucky has a Warp ;) I will try to update with pics.

Also this seems strange and it would be good for someone else to check, preferably on CRT to avoid any LCD processing: the first part of the demo has a scrolling multi parallax scene, to me the 2nd layer moves smoother at 62mhz compared to 75mhz. At 75mhz it seems to move in jumps.

Regarding the occasional crashing when using cpuspeed. It always freezes with about the last 2 lines of the cpuspeed command yet to appear when you make a clock speed adjustment (if that makes any sense). My mobile is always out of charge when it happens! This only happens occasionally and once on 75mhz it has been really good, I have watched hours of 060 demos now.
I just swapped out the 5mm tall CPLD heatsinks for some 20x20x16 ones. Doing this has guaranteed the UK will not see 30 degs again this summer :lol:
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Rev 2 IDE speed + observations during use

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Please upload your version, i am able to test on Matzes 4060
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Not sure if i can upload a .zip but here is a link to the file:

https://files.scene.org/view/parties/20 ... ersion.zip

Sorry I am on mobile and it is a pain linking and attaching.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The 360 ide wont do more than 1.4Mb/s at present.

The 1260/360 firmware still has lots of bugs.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

1.4 - cool understood.
I guess you want to hear about bugs. The gfx glitches on Starstruck are interesting and could then be bugs. Some are glitches sometimes you see a previous scene's gfx.

On another demo when there was a bass sound there was a gfx glitch. Only when that specific sound played the screen glitched? Does CD32 have same audio filter as A500/1200? Maybe demo is coded to some specific thing, or maybe it is Firmware bug.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

There is honestly so much wrong i've found... really subtle things.. that i want to get this version finished before thinking about any more bugs.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “TF360”