TF1260 Firmware Update ... er Update?

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

kulamario

Re: TF1260 Firmware Update ... er Update?

Post by kulamario »

Sounds good
AndreaM

Post by AndreaM »

The results for the beta firmware are brilliant, really shows what the hardware can do. :)

If it gets released I'll be looking to upgrade but I am very happy with what I've got so am happy to wait.
At less than £300 with an LC this is the only way I could afford a 060 accelerator.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings that answers to either Andrea or fluffkitten
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Nice to see a comparison, and even better when TF cards are rocking :D

Good to hear TF360 CD enabling is still in the works. I recently 3d printed (not my design) a cracking riser cover and CF card 'pod', I need to get a post up.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:10 pm Nice to see a comparison, and even better when TF cards are rocking :D

Good to hear TF360 CD enabling is still in the works. I recently 3d printed (not my design) a cracking riser cover and CF card 'pod', I need to get a post up.
I was mid flow sorting that when it was announced we were moving house. So that put one of my benches out of action instantly...

It should, eventually, become easier for me to do multiple machines on the bench at the same time.. once the basement is sorted out.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:41 pm I was mid flow sorting that when it was announced we were moving house.
Had to smile at that line, have had quite a few of those announcements over the last 35 odd years. :roll:

Interesting comparisons, highlighting what most of us already knew, an excellent affordable 060 card :D
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

terriblefire wrote: I'm not the sort that will spend years squeezing every last drop of performance out of it
Isn't it what you have been doing for last... like 5 years since TF520?
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:29 pm
terriblefire wrote: I'm not the sort that will spend years squeezing every last drop of performance out of it
Isn't it what you have been doing for last... like 5 years since TF520?
Nah i'm out making new stuff.. i'll backport if its easy.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Seeing some posts on forums saying it doesnt make sense to sell a few hundred cards then do updates via post etc.

Well I never promised an update when Chucky and co started selling them... and honestly i may lose interest in doing the FW update for months at a time. I've just bought 3 arcade machines so my attention is elsewhere right now anyway. So it will probably happen at some point but dont buy the card thinking its just round the corner.

I'm also continuing to see whinging about chip ram performance. I'm honestly never going to seriously tackle this. Firstly because its a £200 card not a £700 card but mostly because the Amiga is not really a suitable machine for FPS.

IMHO the Amiga is a pretty crap early 90s games machine that i happen to rather like. But its pretty rotten for FPS... but not for most of the reasons people bat about... None of the mice or keyboards for it are good enough for serious FPS playing. For serious Quake i want a 200hz update genuine PS/2 interface. and over 100FPS. The amiga does not cut it at all.

So in summary.. if you dont like a cheap low end 060 accelerator spend the money on something better. I actively encourage this. I dont want you to buy my card if thats what you want because you'll be disappointed. There is Warp or ACA or Vampire. Buy them if your aspirations are to turn your Amiga into a PC and spend a fortune doing so.

EDIT: I still think there are some demented people out there that think i'm doing this to make money or "as a business". I'm seriously thinking about moving away from home computers as a hobby and getting properly into arcades now that i have the space.
———
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Too many people thing that money is the only motivation anyone can have. It's a sad reflection of some people's values.

Anyway, more importantly, what are the three arcade cabinets?!
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Cego

Post by Cego »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:11 am Well I never promised an update when Chucky and co started selling them... and honestly i may lose interest in doing the FW update for months at a time. I've just bought 3 arcade machines so my attention is elsewhere right now anyway. So it will probably happen at some point but dont buy the card thinking its just round the corner.
I just had to register to be able to reply to you. As a recent buyer of the card i really think that the card has the potential to be one of the best products in the recent years. I think it's a great card and a lot of buyers would love to get an update.
If there is anything i can do, to motivate you or help, i'd gladly offer my assistance.

Amiga is all about the community and support. It really doesn't matter if its about a 020 card, RAM expansion or highend stuff like the TF1260.
Negative people will be everywhere. That's the sad truth, not only in the amiga community, but in life as it is.
I hope you'll reconsider your decision and keep on being a valuable developer and contributor to the amiga community.
It's always easier to see the negative and forget about those people that value your work. They just tend to be quiet, because everything's fine :)
Your efforts in the recent years massively shaped the amiga platform and i'd be happy if talented people like you would keep on doing their amiga thing as long as possible.

Of course it's your decision, your time and your feelings and i can't judge you on that. Just remember that hundreds of people are happy with your hardware, which they're turning on every day to get their daily amiga dose.

Last but not least: Thank you! The TF1260 will accomplish my dream to build a demoscene A1200, which will be taken to the next year's Revision party :)

Return to “TF360”